Conformal dual-band textile antenna with metasurface for WBAN application
- 476 Downloads
This paper presents the design of a dual-band wearable planar slotted dipole integrated with a metasurface. It operates in the 2.45 GHz (lower) and 5.8 GHz (upper) bands and made fully using textiles to suit wireless body area network applications. The metasurface in the form of an artificial magnetic conductor (AMC) plane is formed using a rectangular patch incorporated with a diamond-shaped slot to generate dual-phase response. This plane is then integrated with the planar slotted dipole antenna prior to its assessment in free space and bent configurations. Simulations and measurements indicated a good agreement, and the antenna featured an impedance bandwidth of 164 and 592 MHz in the lower and upper band, respectively. The presence of the AMC plane also minimized the backward radiation toward the human body and enhanced realized gains by up to 3.01 and 7.04 dB in the lower and upper band.
KeywordsWireless Local Area Network Wireless Body Area Network Specific Absorption Rate Impedance Bandwidth Rectangular Patch
This work is supported by the UOWD Research Grants and the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) (Grant No. 9003-00527).
- 6.M. A. Abdullah, M. K. A. Rahim, M. E. Jalil, N. A. Samsuri and N. A. Murad, Integrated two textile dipole antenna with dual-band textile artificial magnetic conductor. 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propag. (EuCAP), Gothenburg, Sweden, pp. 2075–2078, 8–12 Apr 2013Google Scholar
- 7.M. Grilo, and F. S. Correra, Parametric study of rectangular patch antenna using denim textile material. SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave & Optoelectronics Conference (IMOC), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 1–5, 4–7 Aug 2013Google Scholar
- 8.S. K. Mishra, V. Mishra and N. Purohit, Design of wide band circularly polarized textile antenna for ISM bands at 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. Signal Processing, Informatics, Communication and Energy Systems (SPICES), pp. 1–5, 2015Google Scholar
- 9.D. L. Paul, M. Klemm, C. J. Railton and J. P. McGeehan, Textile Broadband E-Patch Antenna at ISM Band. 2007 IET Seminar on Antennas and Propag. for Body-Centric Wireless Communications, London, pp. 38–43, 24 April 2007Google Scholar
- 10.M. N. Pavan and N. Chattoraj, Design and analysis of a frequency reconfigurable antenna using metasurface for wireless applications, in 2nd International Conference on Innovations in Information, Embedded and Communication systems (ICIIECS), Coimbatore, pp. 1–5, 19–20 March 2015Google Scholar
- 11.Y. H. Di, X. Y. Liu and M. M. Tentzeris, A Conformable Dual-Band Antenna Equipped with AMC for WBAN Applications, in 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propag.(APCAP), Harbin, China, pp. 388–391, 26–29 July 2014Google Scholar
- 13.R.C. Hadarig, M.E. de Cos, F. Las-Heras, Microstrip patch antenna bandwidth enhancement using AMC/EBG structures. Int. J. Antennas Propag. 12, 1–7 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.M. Cekingen, C. Isik and B. Turetken, Design of a broadband microstrip antenna with artificial magnetic conductor ground plane. 2011 7th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO), Bursa, Turkey, pp. 226–229, 1–4 Dec 2011Google Scholar