Piezoelectric cement-based 1-3 composites
- 225 Downloads
This paper presents a new functional material for smart structure applications. Piezoelectric PZT/cement 1-3 composites that have good compatibility with civil engineering structural materials have been studied. The composites with different volume fractions of PZT ranging from 0.25 to 0.77 were fabricated by the dice-and-fill method. It was found that the 1-3 composites have good piezoelectric properties that agreed quite well with theoretical modeling. The thickness electromechanical coupling coefficient could reach 0.55 in the composite with a ceramic volume fraction of 0.25. Those composites have potential to be used as sensors in civil structure health monitoring systems.
KeywordsAcoustic Impedance Electromechanical Coupling Smart Mater Lead Titanate Ceramic Disc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Culshaw: Artech House, Boston LondonGoogle Scholar
- 8.C.G. Oakley: Applications of Ferroelectrics, IEEE 7th Inter. Symp. 6–8, 233 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.W.A. Smith: Applications of Ferroelectrics, Proc. of the 7th IEEE Inter. Symp. 6–8, 145 (1990)Google Scholar
- 15.IEEE standard on piezoelectricity, ANSI/IEEE Std. 176-1987Google Scholar
- 16.B.E. Read, G.D. Dean: The Determination of Dynamic Properties of Polymers and Composite (Adam Hilger, 1978)Google Scholar
- 17.A.M. Neville: Properties of concrete (Wiley, New York 1996)Google Scholar