Defect-tolerant demultiplexers for nano-electronics constructed from error-correcting codes
- First Online:
- 68 Downloads
We present a defect-tolerant methodology for the interconnect from conventional microelectronics to nano-electronic circuits. A relatively small amount of redundancy is added to a conventional demultiplexer that enables a specific element in an array of nano-wires to be addressed even if one or more connections to that nano-wire are defective. The k-bit address for each nano-wire is extended to a k+s-bit address by appending s check bits generated by an encoder. We demonstrate a systematic strategy for selecting effective encoding functions, based on error-correcting codes commonly used for digital data transmission. Small numbers of redundant address wires can provide significant protection from fabrication errors at the nano-scale in order to attain desired manufacturing yields. This coding gain can translate into significant economic gains in manufacturing costs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.P.J. Kuekes, R.S. Williams, J.R. Heath: US Patent No. 6 128 214 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.J.R. Heath, P.J. Kuekes, R.S. Williams: US Patent No. 6 459 095 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Luo, C.P. Collier, J.O. Jeppesen, K.A. Nielsen, E. Delonno, G. Ho, J. Perkins, H.-R. Tseng, T. Yamamoto, J.F. Stoddart, J.R. Heath: Chem. Phys. Chem. 3, 519 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.F.J. MacWilliams, N.J.A. Sloane: The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes (North-Holland, New York 1990)Google Scholar
- 13.S.B. Wicker: Error Control Systems for Digital Communication and Storage (Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River 1995)Google Scholar
- 14.D. Jaffe web site: ‘Information about binary linear codes’, http://www.math.unl.edu/∼djaffe/codes/webcodes/codeform.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 15.P.J. Kuekes, W. Robinett, G. Seroussi, R.S. Williams: ‘Defect-Tolerant Interconnect to Nanoelectronic Circuits: Internally Redundant Demultiplexers Based on Error-Correcting Codes’, submitted to Nanotechnology (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2003 edn., http://blic.itrs.netGoogle Scholar
- 17.J. von Neumann: ‘Probabilistic Logics and the Synthesis of Reliable Organisms from Unreliable Components’. In: Automata Studies, ed. by C.E. Shannon, J. McCarthy (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA 1956) pp. 43–98Google Scholar