Defect-tolerant demultiplexers for nano-electronics constructed from error-correcting codes
- 72 Downloads
We present a defect-tolerant methodology for the interconnect from conventional microelectronics to nano-electronic circuits. A relatively small amount of redundancy is added to a conventional demultiplexer that enables a specific element in an array of nano-wires to be addressed even if one or more connections to that nano-wire are defective. The k-bit address for each nano-wire is extended to a k+s-bit address by appending s check bits generated by an encoder. We demonstrate a systematic strategy for selecting effective encoding functions, based on error-correcting codes commonly used for digital data transmission. Small numbers of redundant address wires can provide significant protection from fabrication errors at the nano-scale in order to attain desired manufacturing yields. This coding gain can translate into significant economic gains in manufacturing costs.
KeywordsThin Film Operating Procedure Electronic Material Data Transmission Digital Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.P.J. Kuekes, R.S. Williams, J.R. Heath: US Patent No. 6 128 214 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.J.R. Heath, P.J. Kuekes, R.S. Williams: US Patent No. 6 459 095 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Luo, C.P. Collier, J.O. Jeppesen, K.A. Nielsen, E. Delonno, G. Ho, J. Perkins, H.-R. Tseng, T. Yamamoto, J.F. Stoddart, J.R. Heath: Chem. Phys. Chem. 3, 519 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.F.J. MacWilliams, N.J.A. Sloane: The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes (North-Holland, New York 1990)Google Scholar
- 13.S.B. Wicker: Error Control Systems for Digital Communication and Storage (Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River 1995)Google Scholar
- 14.D. Jaffe web site: ‘Information about binary linear codes’, http://www.math.unl.edu/∼djaffe/codes/webcodes/codeform.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 15.P.J. Kuekes, W. Robinett, G. Seroussi, R.S. Williams: ‘Defect-Tolerant Interconnect to Nanoelectronic Circuits: Internally Redundant Demultiplexers Based on Error-Correcting Codes’, submitted to Nanotechnology (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2003 edn., http://blic.itrs.netGoogle Scholar
- 17.J. von Neumann: ‘Probabilistic Logics and the Synthesis of Reliable Organisms from Unreliable Components’. In: Automata Studies, ed. by C.E. Shannon, J. McCarthy (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA 1956) pp. 43–98Google Scholar