Laser direct writing of biomolecule microarrays
- 173 Downloads
Protein-based biosensors are highly efficient tools for protein detection and identification. The production of these devices requires the manipulation of tiny amounts of protein solutions in conditions preserving their biological properties. In this work, laser induced forward transfer (LIFT) was used for spotting an array of a purified bacterial antigen in order to check the viability of this technique for the production of protein microarrays. A pulsed Nd : YAG laser beam (355 nm wavelength, 10 ns pulse duration) was used to transfer droplets of a solution containing the Treponema pallidum 17 kDa protein antigen on a glass slide. Optical microscopy showed that a regular array of micrometric droplets could be precisely and uniformly spotted onto a solid substrate. Subsequently, it was proved that LIFT deposition of a T. pallidum 17 kDa antigen onto nylon-coated glass slides preserves its antigenic reactivity and diagnostic properties. These results support that LIFT is suitable for the production of protein microarrays and pave the way for future diagnostics applications.
KeywordsProtein Antigen Regular Array Bacterial Antigen Protein Microarrays Tiny Amount
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.P. Gosling: Clin. Chem. 36, 1408 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.P. Appleby, U. Reischl: Methods in molecular medicine Vol. 13, ed. by U. Reischl (Humana Press, Totowa 1998), p. 487Google Scholar
- 11.D.B. Chrisey, R.A. McGill, R. Andrew, A. Piqué: US Patent 6177151, January 2003Google Scholar
- 12.R.C.Y. Auyeung, A. Piqué, H.D. Young, R. Modi, H. Wu, D.B. Chrisey, J.M. Fitz-Gerald, B.R. Ringeisen: US Patent Application 20020197401, December 2002Google Scholar
- 13.B.R. Ringeisen, D.B. Chrisey, A. Piqué, D. Krizman, M. Brooks, B. Spargo, R.C.Y. Auyeung, P.K. Wu: Am. Biotech. Lab. 19, 42 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.P.K. Wu, B.R. Ringeisen, J. Callahan, M. Brooks, D.M. Bubb, H.D. Wu, A. Piqué, B. Spargo, R.A. McGill, D.B. Chrisey: Thin Solid Films 398–399, 607 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.J.M. Fernández-Pradas, M. Colina, P. Serra, J. Domínguez, J.L. Morenza: Thin Films 453–454C, 27 (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.A. Karaiskou, I. Zergioti, C. Fotakis, M. Kapsetaki, D. Kafetzopoulos: Appl. Surf. Sci. 208–209, 245 (2003)Google Scholar