The role of ANAC072 in the regulation of chlorophyll degradation during age- and dark-induced leaf senescence
- 948 Downloads
ANAC072 positively regulates both age- and dark-induced leaf senescence through activating the transcription of NYE1.
Leaf senescence is integral to plant development, which is age-dependent and strictly regulated by internal and environmental signals. Although a number of senescence-related mutants and senescence-associated genes (SAGs) have been identified and characterized in the past decades, the general regulatory network of leaf senescence is still far from being elucidated. Here, we report the role of ANAC072, an SAG identified through bioinformatics analysis, in the regulation of chlorophyll degradation during natural and dark-induced leaf senescence. The expression of ANAC072 was increased with advancing leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Leaf degreening was significantly delayed under normal or dark-induced conditions in anac072-1, a knockout mutant of ANAC072, with a higher chlorophyll level detected. In contrast, an overexpression mutant, anac072-2, with ANAC072 transcription markedly upregulated, showed an early leaf-yellowing phenotype. Consistently, senescent leaves of the loss-of-function mutant anac072-1 exhibited delays in the decrease of photosynthesis efficiency of photosystem II (F v/F m ratio) and the increase of plasma membrane ion leakage rate as compared with corresponding leaves of wild-type Col-0 plants, whereas the overexpression mutant anac072-2 showed opposite changes. Our data suggest that ANAC072 plays a positive role during natural and dark-induced leaf senescence. In addition, the transcript level of NYE1, a key regulatory gene in chlorophyll degradation, relied on the function of ANAC072. Combining these analyses with electrophoretic mobility shift assay and chromatin immunoprecipitation, we demonstrated that ANAC072 directly bound to the NYE1 promoter in vitro and in vivo, so ANAC072 may promote chlorophyll degradation by directly upregulating the expression of NYE1.
KeywordsANAC072 NYE1 Chlorophyll degradation Leaf senescence
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (31170218), Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (13JC400900), National Key Project of Transgenic Variety Development of China (2014ZX08003-004), Fudan University, State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Breeze E, Harrison E, McHattie S, Hughes L, Hickman R, Hill C, Kiddle S, Kim YS, Penfold CA, Jenkins D, Zhang C, Morris K, Jenner C, Jackson S, Thomas B, Tabrett A, Legaie R, Moore JD, Wild DL, Ott S, Rand D, Beynon J, Denby K, Mead A, Buchanan-Wollaston V (2011) High-resolution temporal profiling of transcripts during Arabidopsis leaf senescence reveals a distinct chronology of processes and regulation. Plant Cell 23:873–894CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Buchanan-Wollaston V, Page T, Harrison E, Breeze E, Lim PO, Nam HG, Lin JF, Wu SH, Swidzinski J, Ishizaki K (2005) Comparative transcriptome analysis reveals significant differences in gene expression and signalling pathways between developmental and dark/starvation-induced senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant J 42:567–585CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim HJ, Hong SH, Kim YW, Lee IH, Jun JH, Phee B-K, Rupak T, Jeong H, Lee Y, Hong BS, Nam HG, Woo HR, Lim PO (2014) Gene regulatory cascade of senescence-associated NAC transcription factors activated by ETHYLENE-INSENSITIVE2-mediated leaf senescence signalling in Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot 65:4023–4036CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sakuraba Y, Schelbert S, Park SY, Han SH, Lee BD, Andres CB, Kessler F, Hortensteiner S, Paek NC (2012) STAY-GREEN and chlorophyll catabolic enzymes interact at light-harvesting complex II for chlorophyll detoxification during leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 24:507–518CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tran L-SP, Nakashima K, Sakuma Y, Simpson SD, Fujita Y, Maruyama K, Fujita M, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2004) Isolation and functional analysis of Arabidopsis stress-inducible NAC transcription factors that bind to a drought-responsive cis-element in the early responsive to dehydration stress 1 promoter. Plant Cell 16:2481–2498CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar