Skip to main content


Log in

Infective arthritis in adults – experience at a teaching hospital in Kuwait

  • Published:
Rheumatology International Aims and scope Submit manuscript


Infective arthritis (InfectA) has a variable geographical pattern. A `Medline' search did not yield any earlier series on epidemiological pattern of InfectA from Kuwait or the Gulf region. Therefore, an observational prospective study of sequential cases seen over a period of 4 years was carried out. Of a total of 2021 patients seen during this period, 36 (1.8%) were diagnosed to have InfectA. There were 6 (16.7%) cases of neisserial and 30 (83.3%) of non-neisserial InfectA. Predisposing factors were seen in 17 (47.2%), all with non-neisserial InfectA. Microbiological diagnosis was proven in 15 (41.7%) cases, and included Neisseria gonorrhoeae in 5, Brucella spp. in 4, Staphylococcus aureus in 3, and Neisseria meningitidis, Salmonella spp. and Mycobacterium tuberculosis in 1 each. In the remaining 21 (58.3%) cases the diagnosis was made on clinical grounds and confirmed on therapeutic response. The most common presentation of neisserial InfectA was acute polyarthritis while that of non-neisserial InfectA was acute monoarthritis. All patients recovered with little disability and no mortality.

This is a preview of subscription content, log in via an institution to check access.

Access this article

Price excludes VAT (USA)
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.

Instant access to the full article PDF.

Similar content being viewed by others

Author information

Authors and Affiliations


Additional information

Received: 11 December 1998 / Accepted: 12 April 1999

Rights and permissions

Reprints and permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Kaushik, P., Malaviya, A. & Rotimi, V. Infective arthritis in adults – experience at a teaching hospital in Kuwait. Rheumatology International 19, 1–5 (1999).

Download citation

  • Issue Date:

  • DOI: