Parameters of arterial stiffness in patients with Behçet’s disease and their relationship with disease duration
- 59 Downloads
The results of investigations of arterial stiffness in Behçet’s disease (BD) are contradictory and the reason for this contradictory situation is not clear. The lack of studies in homogenous groups according to the duration of the disease may be the cause of conflicting results. To compare arterial stiffness by assessing pulse wave velocity (PWV) and augmentation index (AIx) measurements in healthy controls (HC) and patients diagnosed with BD with short and long disease duration. This cross-sectional study was conducted between August-November 2017 and 54 patients with BD and 34 HC were included. Patients with BD who were diagnosed within 12 months were included in the group with short disease duration (SDD) and the others in the group with long disease duration (LDD). Parameters of cardiovascular risk of all participants were recorded and PWV and AIx values were measured from the brachial artery. AIx was significantly higher in all patients with BD, patients with BD with SDD and patients with BD with LDD, than in HC (p = 0.005, p = 0.011, p = 0.004, respectively). Pulse wave velocity values were not different from HC in patients with BD. When patients with BD with SDD and LDD were compared with each other, PWV was significantly higher in patients with BD with LDD (p = 0.030). There was a moderate correlation between PWV and disease duration (Rho = 0.414, p = 0.002). Augmentation index is higher in patients with BD than HC regardless of disease duration.
KeywordsArterial stiffness Augmentation index Behcet’s disease Pulse wave velocity
None of the authors have received any financial assistance for this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Ethics committee approval was obtained from Uludag University Faculty of Medicine Clinical Research Ethics Committee (2017-13/66). The study was carried out in accordance with ethical standards.
- 6.Roman MJ, Shanker BA, Davis A, Lockshin MD, Sammaritano L, Simantov R, Crow MK, Schwartz JE, Paget SA, Devereux RB, Salmon JE (2003) Prevalence and correlates of accelerated atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 349(25):2399–2406. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa035471 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Provan SA, Angel K, Semb AG, Mowinckel P, Agewall S, Atar D, Kvien TK (2011) Early prediction of increased arterial stiffness in patients with chronic inflammation: a 15-year followup study of 108 patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 38(4):606–612. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.100689 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ambrosino P, Tasso M, Lupoli R, Di Minno A, Baldassarre D, Tremoli E, Di Minno MN (2015) Non-invasive assessment of arterial stiffness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of literature studies. Ann Med 47(6):457–467. https://doi.org/10.3109/07853890.2015.1068950 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Papaioannou TG, Argyris A, Protogerou AD, Vrachatis D, Nasothimiou EG, Sfikakis PP, Stergiou GS, Stefanadis CI (2013) Non-invasive 24 h ambulatory monitoring of aortic wave reflection and arterial stiffness by a novel oscillometric device: the first feasibility and reproducibility study. Int J Cardiol 169(1):57–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.08.079 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Vlachopoulos C, Aznaouridis K, O’Rourke MF, Safar ME, Baou K, Stefanadis C (2010) Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with central haemodynamics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 31(15):1865–1871. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehq024 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Criteria for diagnosis of Behcet’s disease (1990) International study group for behcet’s disease. Lancet 335(8697):1078–1080Google Scholar
- 18.Protogerou AD, Argyris A, Nasothimiou E, Vrachatis D, Papaioannou TG, Tzamouranis D, Blacher J, Safar ME, Sfikakis P, Stergiou GS (2012) Feasibility and reproducibility of noninvasive 24-h ambulatory aortic blood pressure monitoring with a brachial cuff-based oscillometric device. Am J Hypertens 25(8):876–882. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajh.2012.63 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Weber T, Auer J, O’Rourke MF, Kvas E, Lassnig E, Berent R, Eber B (2004) Arterial stiffness, wave reflections, and the risk of coronary artery disease. Circulation 109(2):184–189. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000105767.94169.E3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Wassertheurer S, Kropf J, Weber T, van der Giet M, Baulmann J, Ammer M, Hametner B, Mayer CC, Eber B, Magometschnigg D (2010) A new oscillometric method for pulse wave analysis: comparison with a common tonometric method. J Hum Hypertens 24(8):498–504. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2010.27 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Oflaz H, Mercanoglu F, Karaman O, Kamali S, Erer B, Genchellac H, Pamukcu B, Umman S, Inanc M, Gul A (2005) Impaired endothelium-dependent flow-mediated dilation in Behcet’s disease: more prominent endothelial dysfunction in patients with vascular involvement. Int J Clin Pract 59(7):777–781. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2005.00477.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Caldas CA, Borba EF, Bortolotto LA, Medeiros DM, Bonfa E, Goncalves CR (2013) Increased arterial stiffness assessed by pulse wave velocity in Behcet’s disease and its association with the lipid profile. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 27(4):454–459. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2012.04458.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Ikonomidis I, Aznaouridis K, Protogerou A, Stamatelopoulos K, Markomihelakis N, Papamichael C, Kaklamanis P, Mavrikakis M, Lekakis J (2006) Arterial wave reflections are associated with left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in Adamantiades-Behcet’s disease. J Card Fail 12(6):458–463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2006.04.001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Davies JI, Struthers AD (2003) Pulse wave analysis and pulse wave velocity: a critical review of their strengths and weaknesses. J Hypertens 21(3):463–472. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.hjh.0000052468.40108.43 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar