Clinical management algorithm of uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: interdisciplinary panel consensus
- 1.6k Downloads
Uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) typically involves the anterior chamber segment, follows an indolent chronic course, and presents a high rate of uveitic complications and a worse outcome as compared to other aetiologies of uveitis. Disease assessment, treatment, and outcome measures have not been standardized. Collaboration between pediatric rheumatologists and ophthalmologists is critical for effective management and prevention of morbidity, impaired vision, and irreparable visual loss. Although the Standardization of Uveitis Nomenclature Working Group recommendations have been a great advance to help clinicians to improve consistency in grading and reporting data, difficulties arise at the time of deciding the best treatment approach in the individual patient in routine daily practice. For this reason, recommendations for a systematized control and treatment strategies according to clinical characteristics and disease severity in children with JIA-related uveitis were developed by a panel of experts with special interest in uveitis associated with JIA. A clinical management algorithm organized in a stepwise regimen is here presented.
KeywordsAlgorithm Biologic therapy Corticosteroids Juvenile idiopathic arthritis Methotrexate Uveitis
The authors thank Marta Pulido, MD, for editing the manuscript and editorial assistance.
Conflict of interest
RB declares that she has received speakers’ bureau fees from Novartis and Abbvie, and travel and expense payments from Abbvie, Pfizer and Novartis. JA. declares that his institution has received a PI grant from Pfizer and that he has received speakers’ bureau fees from Pfizer, Roche, and GEBRO, and speakers’ bureau fees and travel and expense payments from Abbvie. All other authors declare that they do not have competing interests. Meetings to reach consensus were funded by Abbvie through an unrestricted grant.
- 3.Heiligenhaus AI, Niewerth M, Ganser G, Heinz C, Minden K (2007) Prevalence and complications of uveitis in juvenile idiopathic arthritis in a population-based nation-wide study in Germany: suggested modification of the current screening guidelines. Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1015–1019CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Heiligenhaus A, Foeldvari I, Edelsten C, Smith JR, Saurenmann RK, Bodaghi B, de Boer J, Graham E, Anton J, Kotaniemi K, Mackensen F, Minden K, Nielsen S, Rabinovich EC, Ramanan AV, Strand V (2012) Proposed outcome measures for prospective clinical trials in juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis: a consensus effort from the multinational interdisciplinary working group for uveitis in childhood. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:1365–1372CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Heiligenhaus A, Michels H, Schumacher C, Kopp I, Neudorf U, Niehues T, Baus H, Becker M, Bertram B, Dannecker G, Deuter C, Foeldvari I, Frosch M, Ganser G, Gaubitz M, Gerdes G, Horneff G, Illhardt A, Mackensen F, Minden K, Pleyer U, Schneider M, Wagner N, Zierhut M (2012) Evidence-based, interdisciplinary guidelines for anti-inflammatory treatment of uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Rheumatol Int 32:1121–1133CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Zannin ME, Birolo C, Gerloni VM, Miserocchi E, Pontikaki I, Paroli MP, Bracaglia C, Shardlow A, Parentin F, Cimaz R, Simonini G, Falcini F, Corona F, Viola S, De Marco R, Breda L, La Torre F, Vittadello F, Martini G, Zulian F (2013) Safety and efficacy of infliximab and adalimumab for refractory uveitis in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: 1-year followup data from the Italian Registry. J Rheumatol 40:74–79CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Díaz-Llopis M, Salom D, Garcia-de-Vicuña C, Cordero-Coma M, Ortega G, Ortego N, Suarez-de-Figueroa M, Rio-Pardo MJ, Fernandez-Cid C, Fonollosa A, Blanco R, Garcia-Aparicio AM, Benitez-Del-Castillo JM, Olea JL, Arevalo JF (2012) Treatment of refractory uveitis with adalimumab: a prospective multicenter study of 131 patients. Ophthalmology 119:1575–1578CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.García-De-Vicuña C, Díaz-Llopis M, Salom D, Bou R, Díaz-Cascajosa J, Cordero-Coma M, Ortega G, Ortego-Centeno N, Suarez-De-Figueroa M, Cruz-Martínez J, Fonollosa A, Blanco R, García-Aparicio ÁM, Benítez-Del-Castillo JM, Antón J (2013) Usefulness of adalimumab in the treatment of refractory uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Mediators Inflamm. doi: 10.1155/2013/560632 PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar