Synthesis and self-assembly properties of well-defined four-arm star poly(ε-caprolactone)-b-poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone) amphiphilic block copolymers
- 471 Downloads
Well-defined amphiphilic four-arm star diblock copolymers of poly(ε-caprolactone) (PCL) and poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone) (PNVP) have successfully been synthesized by combining the ring-opening polymerization (ROP) of ε-caprolactone (CL) and xanthate-mediated reversible addition-fragmentation chain transfer (RAFT) polymerization of N-vinylpyrrolidone (NVP). The resulting block copolymer shows the formation of spherical micelles in water as revealed by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and supported by light-scattering study. The critical micellar concentration (cmc) value of the micelle increases with the increase in the PNVP block length. Hydrodynamic diameter distribution of the micelles decreases with the increase in the PNVP block length. The effective hydrodynamic ratio (R h) remains almost constant over the angles of scattering measurements above the corresponding cmc value. The usefulness of the synthesized star amphiphilic block copolymers was checked by the successful synthesis of silver nanoparticles.
KeywordsSilver Nanoparticles Block Copolymer Xanthate Amphiphilic Block Copolymer Star Block Copolymer
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, through grant no. SR/S1/PC-25/2006. V.K.P., N.K.V., and A.K.M., acknowledge CSIR, Government of India for research fellowships.
- 3.Chiefari J, Mayadunne RTA, Moad G, Rizzardo E, Thang SH (1999) Polymerization process with living characteristics and polymers made therefrom. PCT Int Appl W099/31144Google Scholar
- 10.Yusa SI, Yamago S, Sugahara M, Morikawa S, Yamamoto T, Morishima Y (2007) Thermoresponsive diblock copolymers of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) and poly(N-vinyl-2-pyrroridone) synthesized via organotellurium-mediated controlled radical polymerization (TERP). Macromolecules 40:5907–5915CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Levia A, Quina FH, Araneda E, Gargallo L, Radić D (2007) New three-arm amphiphilic and biodegradable block copolymers composed of poly(ε-caprolactone) and poly(N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone). Synthesis, characterization and self-assembly in aqueous solution. J Coll Interf Sci 310:136–143CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Mishra AK, Patel VK, Viswakarma NK, Biswas CS, Raula M, Misra A, Mandal TK, Ray B (2011) Synthesis of well-defined amphiphilic poly(ε-caprolactone)-b-poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone) block copolymers via the combination of ROP and xanthate-mediated RAFT polymerization. Macromolecules 44:2465–2473CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Štěpánek P (1993) In: Brown W (ed) Dynamic light scattering—the method and some applications. Clarendon, Boston, pp 177–241Google Scholar
- 25.Chu B (1991) Laser light scattering: basic principles and practices, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New York, pp 13–61Google Scholar
- 27.Ramesh K, Mishra AK, Patel VK, Viswakarma NK, Biswas CS, Paira TK, Mandal TK, Maiti P, Misra N, Ray B (2012) Synthesis of well-defined amphiphilic poly(d, l-lactide)-b-poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone) block copolymers using ROP and xanthate-mediated RAFT polymerization. Polymer 53:5743–5753CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Vishwakarma NK, Mishra AK, Mishra A, Paira T, Patel VK, Biswas CS, Mandal TK, Maiti P, Ray B (2013) Synthesis, characterization, and application of novel amphiphilic poly(d-gluconamidoethyl methacrylate)-b-polyurethane-b-poly(d-gluconamidoethyl methacrylate) triblock copolymers. J Appl Polym Sci 128:1369–1380Google Scholar