Benford’s Law Strikes Back: No Simple Explanation in Sight for Mathematical Gem
KeywordsLarge Spread Decimal Digit Positive Random Variable Mathematical Intelligencer Figure Easy Derivation
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are grateful to Rachel Fewster, Kent Morrison, and Stan Wagon for excellent suggestions that helped to improve the exposition.
- [AP1]Aldous, D., and Phan, T. (2009), “When Can One Test an Explanation? Compare and Contrast Benford’s Law and the Fuzzy CLT”, Class project report dated May 11, 2009, Statistics Department, UC Berkeley; accessed on May 14, 2010, at [BH].Google Scholar
- [AP2]Aldous, D., and Phan, T. (2010), “When Can One Test an Explanation? Compare and Contrast Benford’s Law and the Fuzzy CLT”, Preprint dated Jan. 3, 2010, Statistics Department, UC Berkeley; accessed on May 14, 2010, at [BH].Google Scholar
- [Ben]Benford, F. (1938), “The Law of Anomalous Numbers”, Proc. Amer. Philosophical Soc. 78, 551–572.Google Scholar
- [Ber]Berger, A. (2010), “Large Spread Does Not Imply Benford’s Law”, Preprint; accessed on May 14, 2010, at http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~aberger/Publications.html.
- [BH]Berger, A., and Hill, T.P. (2009), Benford Online Bibliography; accessed May 14, 2010, at http://www.benfordonline.net.
- [GD]Gauvrit, N., and Delahaye, J.P. (2009), “Loi de Benford générale”, Mathématiques et sciences humaines 186, 5–15; accessed May 14, 2010, at http://msh.revues.org/document11034.html.
- [K]Knuth, D. (1997), The Art of Computer Programming, pp. 253-264, vol. 2, 3rd ed, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.Google Scholar
- [R2]Raimi, R. (1985), “The First Digit Phenomenon Again”, Proc. Amer. Philosophical Soc. 129, 211–219.Google Scholar
- [S]Speed, T. (2009), “You Want Proof?”, Bull. Inst. Math. Statistics 38, p 11.Google Scholar
- [W]Wagon, S. (2010), “Benford’s Law and Data Spread”; accessed May 14, 2010, at http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/BenfordsLawAndDataSpread.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011