Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mRNA levels and protein expression levels in primary colorectal cancer and corresponding liver metastases
- 236 Downloads
High expression levels of EGFR mRNA are reported to be associated with a higher response probability in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) targeted drugs. Our aim was to determine how EGFR gene expression levels in primary colorectal cancer (CRC) were related to those in liver metastases.
31 pairs of primary CRC and corresponding liver metastases were analyzed. Gene expression level was measured using real-time RT-PCR.
No significant difference was observed between median mRNA expression levels of EGFR in primary cancer and those in corresponding liver metastases (P = 0.99). When matched tissue sets were compared on an individual basis, there was a significant correlation for EGFR mRNA expression between primary cancer and corresponding liver metastases (r s = 0.78, P < 0.0001).
A good prediction of EGFR mRNA levels in liver metastases can be obtained by measuring those in the primary CRC.
KeywordsEGFR mRNA Liver metastases Colorectal cancer Gene expression
We thank Mr. Chris W. P. Reynolds of the International Medical Communications Center of Tokyo Medical University for his careful review of this manuscript.
- 4.Van Cutsem E, Peeters M, Siena S, Humblet Y, Hendlisz A, Neyns B, Canon JL, Van Laethem JL, Maurel J, Richardson G, Wolf M, Amado RG (2007) Open-label phase III trial of panitumumab plus best supportive care compared with best supportive care alone in patients with chemotherapy-refractory metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 25:1658–1664CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Chung KY, Shia J, Kemeny NE, Shah M, Schwartz GK, Tse A, Hamilton A, Pan D, Schrag D, Schwartz L, Klimstra DS, Fridman D, Kelsen DP, Saltz LB (2005) Cetuximab shows activity in colorectal cancer patients with tumors that do not express the epidermal growth factor receptor by immunohistochemistry. J Clin Oncol 23:1803–1810CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Dziadziuszko R, Witta SE, Cappuzzo F, Park S, Tanaka K, Danenberg PV, Baron AE, Crino L, Franklin WA, Bunn PA Jr, Varella-Garcia M, Danenberg KD, Hirsch FR (2006) Epidermal growth factor receptor messenger RNA expression, gene dosage, and gefitinib sensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12:3078–3084CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Khambata-Ford S, Garrett CR, Meropol NJ, Basik M, Harbison CT, Wu S, Wong TW, Huang X, Takimoto CH, Godwin AK, Tan BR, Krishnamurthi SS, Burris HA 3rd, Poplin EA, Hidalgo M, Baselga J, Clark EA, Mauro DJ (2007) Expression of epiregulin and amphiregulin and K-ras mutation status predict disease control in metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with cetuximab. J Clin Oncol 25:3230–3237CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lord RV, Salonga D, Danenberg KD, Peters JH, DeMeester TR, Park JM, Johansson J, Skinner KA, Chandrasoma P, DeMeester SR, Bremner CG, Tsai PI, Danenberg PV (2000) Telomerase reverse transcriptase expression is increased early in the Barrett’s metaplasia, dysplasia, adenocarcinoma sequence. J Gastrointest Surg 4:135–142CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Di Fiore F, Blanchard F, Charbonnier F, Le Pessot F, Lamy A, Galais MP, Bastit L, Killian A, Sesboue R, Tuech JJ, Queuniet AM, Paillot B, Sabourin JC, Michot F, Michel P, Frebourg T (2007) Clinical relevance of KRAS mutation detection in metastatic colorectal cancer treated by cetuximab plus chemotherapy. Br J Cancer 96:1166–1169CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.De Roock W, Piessevaux H, De Schutter J, Janssens M, De Hertogh G, Personeni N, Biesmans B, Van Laethem JL, Peeters M, Humblet Y, Van Cutsem E, Tejpar S (2008) KRAS wild-type state predicts survival and is associated to early radiological response in metastatic colorectal cancer treated with cetuximab. Ann Oncol 19:508–515CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lievre A, Bachet JB, Boige V, Cayre A, Le Corre D, Buc E, Ychou M, Bouche O, Landi B, Louvet C, Andre T, Bibeau F, Diebold MD, Rougier P, Ducreux M, Tomasic G, Emile JF, Penault-Llorca F, Laurent-Puig P (2008) KRAS mutations as an independent prognostic factor in patients with advanced colorectal cancer treated with cetuximab. J Clin Oncol 26:374–379CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kuramochi H, Hayashi K, Uchida K, Miyakura S, Shimizu D, Vallbohmer D, Park S, Danenberg KD, Takasaki K, Danenberg PV (2006) Vascular endothelial growth factor messenger RNA expression level is preserved in liver metastases compared with corresponding primary colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12:29–33CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Scartozzi M, Bearzi I, Berardi R, Mandolesi A, Fabris G, Cascinu S (2004) Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) status in primary colorectal tumors does not correlate with EGFR expression in related metastatic sites: implications for treatment with EGFR-targeted monoclonal antibodies. J Clin Oncol 22:4772–4778CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Bibeau F, Boissiere-Michot F, Sabourin JC, Gourgou-Bourgade S, Radal M, Penault-Llorca F, Rochaix P, Arnould L, Bralet MP, Azria D, Ychou M (2006) Assessment of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expression in primary colorectal carcinomas and their related metastases on tissue sections and tissue microarray. Virchows Arch 449:281–287CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar