Late-onset hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis with varicella zoster virus and Epstein-Barr virus co-infection after umbilical cord blood transplantation
- 122 Downloads
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is a fatal syndrome characterized by systemic hypercytokinemia and subsequent multiorgan failure . HLH can occur during the early period after cord blood transplantation (CBT) , but it is rare for HLH to occur years after CBT .
A 39-year-old man presented with systemic pain. He had previously suffered from high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and received unrelated CBT from a female donor mismatched at two HLA loci 4 years and 7 months prior to the visit. He continued to take 5 mg of prednisolone for chronic pulmonary graft-versus-host disease (GVHD).
The authors thank Dr. Yasushi Onishi (Department of Hematology and Rheumatology, Tohoku University Hospital) for his guidance and expertise in preparing this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
This single case study was performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The patient provided informed consent.
- 2.Takagi S, Masuoka K, Uchida N, Ishiwata K, Araoka H, Tsuji M, Yamamoto H, Kato D, Matsuhashi Y, Kusumi E, Ota Y, Seo S, Matsumura T, Matsuno N, Wake A, Miyakoshi S, Makino S, Ohashi K, Yoneyama A, Taniguchi S (2009) High incidence of haemophagocytic syndrome following umbilical cord blood transplantation for adults. Br J Haematol 147(4):543–553. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2009.07863.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kawabata Y, Hirokawa M, Saitoh Y, Kosugi S, Yoshioka T, Fujishima M, Fujishima N, Kameoka Y, Saitoh H, Kume M, Takahashi N, Sawada K (2006) Late-onset fatal Epstein-Barr virus-associated hemophagocytic syndrome following cord blood cell transplantation for adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Int J Hematol 84(5):445–448. https://doi.org/10.1532/ijh97.06101 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Okamoto H, Arii C, Shibata F, Toma T, Wada T, Inoue M, Tone Y, Kasahara Y, Koizumi S, Kamachi Y, Ishida Y, Inagaki J, Kato M, Morio T, Yachie A (2007) Clonotypic analysis of T cell reconstitution after haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in patients with severe combined immunodeficiency. Clin Exp Immunol 148(3):450–460. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2249.2007.03378.x CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Henter JI, Horne A, Arico M, Egeler RM, Filipovich AH, Imashuku S, Ladisch S, McClain K, Webb D, Winiarski J, Janka G (2007) HLH-2004: diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines for hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Pediatr Blood Cancer 48(2):124–131. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.21039 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.La Rosee P (2015) Treatment of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in adults. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2015:190–196. doi: https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2015.1.190
- 9.Toga A, Wada T, Sakakibara Y, Mase S, Araki R, Tone Y, Toma T, Kurokawa T, Yanagisawa R, Tamura K, Nishida N, Taneichi H, Kanegane H, Yachie A (2010) Clinical significance of cloned expansion and CD5 down-regulation in Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-infected CD8+ T lymphocytes in EBV-associated hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. J Infect Dis 201(12):1923–1932. https://doi.org/10.1086/652752 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Talvensaari K, Clave E, Douay C, Rabian C, Garderet L, Busson M, Garnier F, Douek D, Gluckman E, Charron D, Toubert A (2002) A broad T-cell repertoire diversity and an efficient thymic function indicate a favorable long-term immune reconstitution after cord blood stem cell transplantation. Blood 99(4):1458–1464CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zhang K, Jordan MB, Marsh RA, Johnson JA, Kissell D, Meller J, Villanueva J, Risma KA, Wei Q, Klein PS, Filipovich AH (2011) Hypomorphic mutations in PRF1, MUNC13-4, and STXBP2 are associated with adult-onset familial HLH. Blood 118(22):5794–5798. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-07-370148 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ueda I, Kurokawa Y, Koike K, Ito S, Sakata A, Matsumora T, Fukushima T, Morimoto A, Ishii E, Imashuku S (2007) Late-onset cases of familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis with missense perforin gene mutations. Am J Hematol 82(6):427–432. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.20878 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar