Advanced chronic myelomonocytic leukemia in elderly and frail patients managed by azacitidine in the field of clinical practice
Letter to the Editor
- 202 Downloads
Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (CMML) is an aging-related clonal hematopoietic stem cell disorder, classified as myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative disorders [ 1]. Indeed, its disease phenotype usually combines myelodysplastic (MD) and myeloproliferative (MP) features. Therefore, other than a persistent peripheral monocytosis representing the hematological disease hallmark, several degrees of cytopenias by ineffective hematopoiesis and a high propensity to progress into acute myeloid leukemia (AML) may characterize its clinical heterogeneity and a quite variable prognosis [ 2]. Therefore, CMML deserves specific management [ 2], being the treatment approach to MD-CMML traditionally based on supportive measures to palliate cytopenias and manage the related clinical complications, such as those applied to low risk myelodysplastic syndromes, whereas cytoreduction by hydroxyurea in MP-CMML forms continues to represent the currently standard of care [ 2]. Allogeneic stem cell...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Solary E, Itzykson R (2017) How I treat chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. BloodGoogle Scholar
- 3.Alfonso A, Montalban-Bravo G, Takahashi K, Jabbour EJ, Kadia T, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Estrov Z, Borthakur G, Pemmaraju N, Konopleva M, Bueso-Ramos C, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Garcia-Manero G (2017) Natural history of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia treated with hypomethylating agents. Am J Hematol. doi: 10.1002/ajh.24735
- 5.Pleyer L, Germing U, Sperr WR, Linkesch W, Burgstaller S, Stauder R, Girschikofsky M, Schreder M, Pfeilstocker M, Lang A, Sliwa T, Geissler D, Schlick K, Placher-Sorko G, Theiler G, Thaler J, Mitrovic M, Neureiter D, Valent P, Greil R (2014) Azacitidine in CMML: matched-pair analyses of daily-life patients reveal modest effects on clinical course and survival. Leuk Res 38(4):475–483CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Fianchi L, Criscuolo M, Breccia M, Maurillo L, Salvi F, Musto P, Mansueto G, Gaidano G, Finelli C, Aloe-Spiriti A, Santini V, Greco M, Hohaus S, Leone G, Voso MT (2013) High rate of remissions in chronic myelomonocytic leukemia treated with 5- azacytidine: results of an Italian retrospective study. Leuk Lymphoma 54(3):658–661CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Such E, Germing U, Malcovati L, Cervera J, Kuendgen A, Della Porta MG, Nomdedeu B, Arenillas L, Luño E, Xicoy B, Amigo ML, Valcarcel D, Nachtkamp K, Ambaglio I, Hildebrandt B, Lorenzo I, Cazzola M, Sanz G (2013) Development and validation of a prognostic scoring system for patients with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Blood 121(15):3005–15Google Scholar
- 10.Savona MR, Malcovati L, Komrokji R, Tiu RV, Mughal TI, Orazi A, Kiladjian JJ, Padron E, Solary E, Tibes R, Itzykson R, Cazzola M, Mesa R, Maciejewski J, Fenaux P, Garcia-Manero G, Gerds A, Sanz G, Niemeyer CM, Cervantes F, Germing U, Cross NC (2015) List AF; MDS/MPN International Working Group. An international consortium proposal of uniform response criteria for myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative neoplasms (MDS/MPN) in adults. Blood 125(12):1857–1865CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
© Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany 2017