Neutron and X-ray total scattering study of hydrogen disorder in fully hydrated hydrogrossular, Ca3Al2(O4H4)3
- 210 Downloads
The structure of fully hydrated grossular, or katoite, contains an unusual arrangement of four O–H bonds within each O4 tetrahedra. Neutron and X-ray total scattering from a powdered deuterated sample have been measured to investigate the local arrangement of this O4D4 cluster. The O–D bond length determined directly from the pair distribution function is 0.954 Å, although the Rietveld-refined distance between average O and D positions was slightly smaller. Reverse Monte Carlo refinement of supercell models to the total scattering data show that other than the consequences of this correctly determined O–D bond length, there is little to suggest that the O4D4 structure is locally significantly different from that expected based on the average structure determined solely from Bragg diffraction.
KeywordsKatoite Neutron diffraction X-ray diffraction Pair distribution function Total scattering
TDB thanks the Royal Society and Trinity Hall (University of Cambridge) for funding. DAK is grateful to George Lager for pointing out the interest in fully characterizing the O4D4 structure in katoite. This work was carried out with the support of the Diamond Light Source (proposal EE15676).
- Deer WA, Howie RA, Zussman J (1997) Rock-forming minerals, vol 1A, 2nd edn. Orthosilicates. The Geological Society (London)Google Scholar
- Keen DA, Nield VM (2001) Diffuse neutron scattering from crystalline materials. Oxford University Press, Oxford UKGoogle Scholar
- Keppler H, Smyth JR (eds) (2006) Water in nominally anhydrous minerals. Rev Miner Geochem 62Google Scholar
- Lager GA, Armbruster, Th, Faber J (1987) Neutron and X-ray diffraction study of hydrogarnet Ca3Al2(O4H4)3. Am Miner 72:756Google Scholar
- Larson AC, Von Dreele RB (2000) General structure analysis system (GSAS). Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LAUR-86-748Google Scholar
- Soper AK (2011) GudrunN amd GudrunX: Programs for correcting raw neutron and X-ray diffraction data to differential scattering cross-sections. Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Technical Report RAL-TR-2011-013Google Scholar