Advertisement

World Journal of Surgery

, Volume 37, Issue 2, pp 313–317 | Cite as

Outcomes of Conservative Treatment of 134 Cases of Umbilical Pilonidal Sinus

  • Tayeb KareemEmail author
Article

Abstract

Background

There are different opinions about the treatment of umbilical pilonidal sinus. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the outcome of conservative treatment of this disease.

Methods

All patients with umbilical pilonidal sinus who attended our private surgical clinic in Erbil, Kurdistan, from January 1997 to August 2011, were treated by conservative treatment. Umbilectomy was performed for those who did not respond to the conservative treatment after three sessions.

Results

A total of 134 patients were seen; 121 (90.3 %) were men. Only 105 (78.35 %) patients came back for the second visit. Eighty of them (76.19 %) responded to the treatment. The other 25 (23.8 %) patients were retreated by a second session of conservative treatment. Of these 25 patients, 19 (76 %) came back for the third visit and only three (15.78 %) patients did not respond to the treatment. One patient insisted on umbilectomy. The other two patients were treated but did not respond to the third session treatment. Umbilectomy was performed for them. Hair was found in the sinus after excision in these three patients. The follow-up period ranged from 9 months to 6.5 years for 46 (34.32 %) patients and revealed no recurrence.

Conclusions

Conservative treatment should be regarded as the first choice and the main method of treatment in the management of umbilical pilonidal sinus. Improper extraction of hair is the main cause of failure of conservative treatment. Recurrence can be prevented by giving the patients instructions on preventive measures.

Keywords

Conservative Treatment Session Treatment Povidone Iodine Complete Excision Pilonidal Sinus 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

References

  1. 1.
    Clery AP, Clery AB (1963) Pilonidal disease of the umbilicus. Br J Surg 50:666–668PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Thorlakson RH (1966) Pilonidal sinus of the umbilicus. Br J Surg 53(1):76–78PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Eryilmaz R, Sahin M, Okan I et al (2005) Umbilical pilonidal sinus disease: predisposing factors and treatment. World J Surg 29:1158–1160. doi: 10.1007/s00268-005-7895-9 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Coskun A, Bulus H, Akinci OF et al (2011) Etiological factors in umbilical pilonidal sinus. Indian J Surg 73:54–57PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Fazeli MS, Lebaschi AH, Adel MG et al (2008) Evaluation of the outcome of complete sinus excision with reconstruction of the umbilicus in patients with umbilical pilonidal sinus. Word J Surg 32:2305–2308. doi: 10.1007/s00268-008-9626-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Akkapulu N, Tanrikulu Y (2011) Umbilical pilonidal sinus: a case report. J Med Cases 2:272–274Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    Pitarch G, Latasa JM, Sanchez-Motilla JM (2008) Umbilical pilonidal sinus as a possible complication of depilation. Actas Dermosifiliogr 99:493–501CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Haj M, Cohen I (2004) Umbilical pilonidal sinus ambulatory surgical technique. J Ambul Surg 11:37–39Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    Tocchi A, Liotta G, Agostini N et al (1994) The umbilical pilonidal cyst: a case report, comments on its etiopathogenesis and treatment. G Chir 15:33–36PubMedGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Sroujieh AS, Dwoud A (1989) Umbilical sepsis. Br J Surg 76:687–688PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  11. 11.
    Naraynsingh V, Hariharan S, Dan D (2009) Umbilical pilonidal sinus: a new treatment technique of sinus excision with umbilical preservation. Dermatol Surg 35:1155–1156PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  12. 12.
    El-Bakry AA (2002) Discharging umbilicus. Saudi Med J 23:1099–1100PubMedGoogle Scholar
  13. 13.
    McClenathan JH (2000) Umbilical pilonidal sinus. Can J Surg 43:225PubMedGoogle Scholar
  14. 14.
    Abdelnour A, Aftimos G, Elmasri H (1994) Conservative surgical treatment of 27 cases of umbilical pilonidal sinus. J Med Liban 42:123–125PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Société Internationale de Chirurgie 2012

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of Surgery, College of MedicineRizgary Teaching Hospital, Hawler Medical UniversityErbilIraq

Personalised recommendations