What Makes Buttocks Beautiful? A Review and Classification of the Determinants of Gluteal Beauty and the Surgical Techniques to Achieve Them
- 596 Downloads
No reports can be found in medical literature describing the anatomic details that make the buttocks beautiful, nor the defects in this region that can help the surgeon decide whether gluteal prostheses are necessary or not, and, if so, which type, design, and volume of prostheses should be used, in which plane they should be placed, and so forth.
The authors studied 1,320 photographs of nude women and measured 132 female patients ages 16 to 62 years. They found that four characteristics determine attractive buttocks. They also found the balanced anatomic dimension of the maximal gluteal projection.
On the basis of the information obtained, the defects of the gluteal region were classified into five types, resulting in surgical recommendations intended to achieve buttocks as close as possible to the standard of beauty, with the right volume and projection.
The authors concluded that surgery for correction of the buttocks involves more than projection and volume. The surgeon must be familiar with the “signs” of beauty so an attempt can be made to recreate them. Most importantly, the surgeon should achieve buttocks with projection and volume. However, these must be in a balanced proportion with the rest of the body.
KeywordsButtocks Aesthetic surgery Gluteal implants Gluteal prosthesis Gluteoplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cardenas-Camarena, L, Lacouture, A, Tobar-Losada, A 1999Combined gluteoplasty: liposuction and lipoinjectionPlast Reconstr Surg1041524Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez-Ulloa, M 1979TorsoplastyAesth Plast Surg3357Google Scholar
- 3.Lockwood, T 1991Transverse flank–thigh–buttock lift with superficial fascial suspensionPlast Reconstr Surg871019Google Scholar
- 4.Murray, M, Seireg, A, Scholtz, R 1967Center of gravity, center of pressure, and supportive forces during human activitiesJ App Physiol23831Google Scholar
- 5.Otero, G 1990GluteoplastyAnn RAPS5247Google Scholar
- 6.Pitanguy, I 1964Trocantheric lipodistrophyPlast Reconstr Surg34280Google Scholar
- 7.Regnault, P, Baroudi, R, da Silveira, C 1979Correction of lower limb lipodystrophyAesth Plast Surg3233Google Scholar
- 8.Robles, J, Tagliapietra, J, Grandi, M 1984Gluteoplastia de aumento: implante submuscularCir Plast Iberolatinoamericana4365Google Scholar