Enhancement of A82846B yield and proportion by overexpressing the halogenase gene in Amycolatopsis orientalis SIPI18099
The glycopeptide antibiotic A82846B (chloroeremomycin) produced by Amycolatopsis orientalis is the precursor of the semi-synthetic antibiotic oritavancin. However, during the industrial production of A82846B, two major impurities, A82846A (63.6%) and A82846C (12%) which are structurally similar to A82846B (24.4%), are also produced. In this study, to improve the ratio of A82846B to A and C, the genes encoding halogenase in A82846B and vancomycin synthesis were integrated into A. orientalis SIPI18099 to test their halogenation ability, respectively. The results indicated that chal from the A82846B biosynthesis pathway was more efficient in reducing A and C factors. Moreover, by increasing the chal copy number, the proportion of A and C were gradually reduced while the titer and proportion of A82846B were improved. In a scaled-up industrial process, the proportion of A and C were decreased to 11.6% and 0.2% in the recombinant strain A.orientalis chal-3 with three gene copies of chal and the titers of A82846B (2.2 g/L) has increased by 2.8-folds compared to 780 mg/L produced by the parental strain, suggesting that the recombinant strain was suitable for the industrial production of A82846B with lower impurities.
KeywordsA82846B Vancomycin Amycolatopsis orientalis Halogenase gene Overexpression
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Hamill RL, Mabe JA, Mahoney DF, Nakatsukasa WM, Yao RC (1998) A82846 antibiotics. US Pat NO.005843437AGoogle Scholar
- Kaatz GW, Seo SM, Aeschlimann JR, Houlihan HH, Mercier RC, Rybak MJ (1998) Efficacy of LY333328 against experimental methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus endocarditis. Antimicrob Agent Chemother 42(4):981–983Google Scholar
- Kieser T, Bibb MJ, Buttner MJ, Chater K, Hopwood DA (2000) Practical Streptomyces genetics: a laboratory manual. The John Innes Foundation, NorwichGoogle Scholar
- Leadbetter MR, Linsell MS, Lee J, Liu J (2010) Process for preparing glycopeptide phosphonate derivatives. US Pat NO.7728104B2Google Scholar
- Rafai FA, Krishna G, Ding M, Chemburkar SR, Knable CM, Petzel JJ, Pruyne JJ, Reamer DM (2016) High purity Oritavancin and method of producing same. WO Pat No.2016011245 A1Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Russell DW (2001) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Habor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring HaborGoogle Scholar
- Xu L, Huang H, Wei W, Zhong Y, Tang B, Yuan H, Zhu L, Huang W, Ge M, Yang S, Zheng H, Jiang W, Chen D, Zhao G, Zhao W (2014) Complete genome sequence and comparative genomic analyses of the vancomycin-producing Amycolatopsis orientalis. BMC Genomics 15(1):363CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar