Isolation and characterization of a heterologously expressed bacterial laccase from the anaerobe Geobacter metallireducens
- 461 Downloads
Bioinformatics has revealed the presence of putative laccase genes in diverse bacteria, including extremophiles, autotrophs, and, interestingly, anaerobes. Integrity of laccase genes in anaerobes has been questioned, since laccases oxidize a variety of compounds using molecular oxygen as the electron acceptor. The genome of the anaerobe Geobacter metallireducens GS-15 contains five genes for laccase-like multicopper oxidases. In order to show whether one of the predicted genes encodes a functional laccase, the protein encoded by GMET_RS10855 was heterologously expressed in Escherichia coli cells. The His6-tagged enzyme (named GeoLacc) was purified to a large extent in the apoprotein, inactive form: incubation with CuSO4 allowed a 43-fold increase of the specific activity yielding a metallo-enzyme. The purified enzyme oxidized some of the typical laccase substrates, including 2,2′-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulphonic acid) (ABTS), syringaldazine, and 2,6-dimethoxyphenol (2,6-DMP), along with pyrogallol and K4[Fe(CN)6]. Temperature optimum was 75 °C and pH optimum for ABTS and 2,6-DMP oxidation was ~ 6.0. As observed for other laccases, the enzyme was inhibited by halide anions and was sensitive to increasing concentrations of dimethyl sulfoxide and Tween-80. Notably, GeoLacc possesses a very high affinity for dioxygen: a similar activity was measured performing the reaction at air-saturated or microaerophilic conditions.
KeywordsBacterial laccase Characterization Bioinformatics Heterologous expression Anaerobic microorganisms
The authors thank Derek R. Lovley of the University of Massachusetts for providing the genomic DNA of Geobacter metallireducens GS-15.
This research was financially supported by the research grants P4-0116 and J4-4250 awarded to IMM by Slovenian Research Agency.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Afreen S, Shamsi TN, Baig MA, Ahmad N, Fatima S, Qureshi MI, Hassan MI, Fatma T (2017) A novel multicopper oxidase (laccase) from cyanobacteria: purification, characterization with potential in the decolorization of anthraquinonic dye. PLoS One 12(4):e0175144. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0175144 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Aklujkar M, Krushkal J, DiBartolo G, Lapidus A, Land ML, Lovley DR (2009) The genome sequence of Geobacter metallireducens: features of metabolism, physiology and regulation common and dissimilar to Geobacter sulfurreducens. BMC Microbiol 9(1):109. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2180-9-109 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ausec L, Črnigoj M, Šnajder M, Ulrih NP, Mandic-Mulec I (2015) Characterization of a novel high-pH-tolerant laccase-like multicopper oxidase and its sequence diversity in Thioalkalivibrio sp. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 99(23):9987–9999. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-015-6843-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ausec L, Berini F, Casciello C, Cretoiu MS, van Elsas JD, Marinelli F, Mandic-Mulec I (2017) The first acidobacterial laccase-like multicopper oxidase revealed by metagenomics shows high salt and thermo-tolerance. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 101(15):6261–6276. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-017-8345-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Beloqui A, Pita M, Polaina J, Martínez-Arias A, Golyshina OV, Zumárraga M, Yakimov MM, García-Arellano H, Alcalde M, Fernández VM, Elborough K, Andreu LM, Ballesteros A, Plou FJ, Timmis KN, Ferrer M, Golyshin PN (2006) Novel polyphenol oxidase mined from a metagenome expression library of bovine rumen: biochemical properties, structural analysis, and phylogenetic relationships. J Biol Chem 281(32):22933–22942. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M600577200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Caldinelli L, Iametti S, Barbiroli A, Bonomi F, Fessas D, Molla G, Pilone MS, Pollegioni L (2005) Dissecting the structural determinants of the stability of cholesterol oxidase containing covalently bound flavin. J Biol Chem 280(24):22572–22581. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M500549200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Durão P, Chen Z, Fernandes AT, Hildebrandt P, Murgida DH, Todorovic S, Pereira MM, Melo EP, Martins LO (2008) Copper incorporation into recombinant CotA laccase from Bacillus subtilis: characterization of fully copper loaded enzymes. J Biol Inorg Chem 13(2):183–193. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00775-007-0312-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Enguita FJ, Matias PM, Martins LO, Plàcido D, Henriques AO, Carrondo MA (2002) Spore-coat laccase CotA from Bacillus subtilis: crystallization and preliminary X-ray characterization by the MAD method. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 58(Pt9):1490–1493. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0907444902011575 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fang ZM, Li TL, Chang F, Zhou P, Fang W, Hong YZ, Zhang XC, Peng H, Xiao YZ (2012b) A new marine bacterial laccase with chloride-enhancing, alkaline-dependent activity and dye decolorization ability. Bioresour Technol 111:36–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.01.172 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fernandes AT, Damas JM, Todorovic S, Huber R, Baratto MC, Pogni R, Soares CM, Martins LO (2010) The multicopper oxidase from the archeon Pyrobaculum aerophilum shows nitrous oxide reductase activity. FEBS J 277(15):3176–3189. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2010.07725.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Givaudan A, Effosse A, Faure D, Potier P, Bouillant ML, Bally R (1993) Polyphenol oxidase in Azospirillum lipoferum isolated from rice rhizosphere: evidence for laccase activity in non-motile strains of Azospirillum lipoferum. FEMS Microbiol Lett 108(2):205–210. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1993.tb06100.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guan ZB, Song CM, Zhang N, Zhou W, Xu CW, Zhou LX, Zhao H, Cai X, Liao XR (2014a) Overexpression, characterization, and dye-decolorizing ability of a thermostable, pH-stable, and organic solvent-tolerant laccase from Bacillus pumilus W3. J Mol Catal B Enzym 101:1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcatb.2013.11.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guan ZB, Zhang N, Song CM, Zhou W, Zhou LX, Zhao H, Xu CW, Cai YJ, Liao XR (2014b) Molecular cloning, characterization, and dye-decolorizing ability of a temperature- and pH-stable laccase from Bacillus subtilis X1. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 172(3):1147–1157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0614-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jones P, Binns D, Chang HY, Fraser M, Li W, McAnulla C, McWilliam H, Maslen J, Mitchell A, Nuka G, Pesseat S, Quinn AF, Sangrador-Vegas A, Scheremetjew M, Yong SY, Lopez R, Hunter S (2014) InterProScan 5: genome-scale protein function classification. Bioinformatics 30(9):1236–1240. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btu031 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Käll L, Krogh A, Sonnhammer EL (2007) Advantages of combined transmembrane topology and signal peptide prediction—the Phobius web server. Nucleic Acids Res 35(Web Server issue):W429-432Google Scholar
- Kataoka K, Komori H, Ueki Y, Konno Y, Kamitaka Y, Kurose S, Tsujimura S, Higuchi Y, Kano K, Seo D, Sakurai T (2007) Structure and function of the engineered multicopper oxidase CueO from Escherichia coli—deletion of the methionine-rich helical region covering the substrate-binding site. J Mol Biol 373(1):141–152CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Keesey J (1987) Biochemica information, First edn. Boehringer Mannheim Biochemicals, IndianapolisGoogle Scholar
- Koschorreck K, Richter SM, Ene AB, Roduner E, Schmid RD, Urlacher VB (2008) Cloning and characterization of a new laccase from Bacillus licheniformis catalyzing dimerization of phenolic acids. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 79(2):217–224. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1417-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lovley DR, Giovannoni SJ, White DC, Champine JE, Phillips EJ, Gorby YA, Goodwin S (1993) Geobacter metallireducens gen. nov. sp. nov., a microorganism capable of coupling the complete oxidation of organic compounds to the reduction of iron and other metals. Arch Microbiol 159(4):336–344. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00290916 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lu L, Zhao M, Wang TN, Zhao LY, Du MH, Li TL, Li DB (2012) Characterization and dye decolorization ability of an alkaline resistant and organic solvents tolerant laccase from Bacillus licheniformis LS04. Bioresour Technol 115:35–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.07.111 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Madhavi V, Lele SS (2009) Laccase: properties and applications. Bioresources 4(4):1694–1717Google Scholar
- Martins LO, Soares CM, Pereira MM, Teixeira M, Costa T, Jones GH, Henriques AO (2002) Molecular and biochemical characterization of a highly stable bacterial laccase that occurs as a structural component of the Bacillus subtilis endospore coat. J Biol Chem 277(24):18849–18859. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M200827200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ng IS, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Lu Y (2013) Molecular cloning and heterologous expression of laccase from Aeromonas hydrophila NIU01 in Escherichia coli with parameters optimization in production. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 169(7):2223–2235. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0128-z CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ohnishi F (1954) Tyrosinase in Drosophila virilis. Annot Zool Jpn 27:33–39Google Scholar
- Reiss R, Ihssen J, Richter M, Eichorn E, Schilling B, Thöny-Meyer L (2013) Laccase versus laccase-like multi-copper oxidase: a comparative study of similar enzymes with diverse substrate spectra. PLoS One 8(6):e65633. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0065633 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Silva CS, Durão P, Fillat A, Lindley PF, Martins LO, Bento I (2012) Crystal structure of the multicopper oxidase from the pathogenic bacterium Campylobacter jejuni CGUG11284: characterization of a metallo-oxidase. Metallomics 4(1):37–47. https://doi.org/10.1039/C1MT00156F CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T, Endo K, Ito M, Tsujibo H, Miyamoto K, Inamori Y (2003) A thermostable laccase from Streptomyces lavendulae REN-7: purification, characterization, nucleotide sequence, and expression. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67(10):2167–2175. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.67.2167 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang CL, Zhao M, Li DB, Cui DZ, Lu L, Wei XD (2010) Isolation and characterization of a novel Bacillus subtilis WD23 exhibiting laccase activity from forest soil. Afr J Biotechnol 9(34):5496–5502Google Scholar
- Ye M, Li G, Liang WQ, Liu YH (2010) Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel metagenome-derived multicopper oxidase with alkaline laccase activity and highly soluble expression. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87(3):1023–1031. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-010-2507-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar