d-lyxose isomerase and its application for functional sugar production
- 68 Downloads
Functional sugars have attracted attention because of their wide application prospects in the food, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical industries in recent decades. Compared with complex chemical synthesis, enzymatic methods of creating functional sugars, characterized by high specificity, moderate reaction conditions, and sustainability, are favored. d-lyxose isomerase (d-LI, EC 188.8.131.52), an important aldose-ketose isomerase, catalyzes the reverse isomerization reaction between d-xylulose and d-lyxose, as well as d-fructose and d-mannose. d-LI has drawn researchers’ attention due to its broad substrate specificity and high potential for enzymatic production of some functional sugars such as d-xylulose, d-mannose, and d-ribose. In this article, an overview of recent advances in the biochemical properties of various d-LIs is explored in detail. Structural analysis, active site identification, and catalytic mechanisms are also provided. Additionally, the applications of d-LIs for functional sugar production, including d-lyxose, d-mannose, and l-ribose, are reviewed in detail in this paper.
Keywordsd-lyxose isomerase d-lyxose Substrate specificity Functional sugar
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Chen Z, Xu W, Zhang W, Zhang T, Jiang B, Mu W (2017) Characterization of a thermostable recombinant L-rhamnose isomerase from Caldicellulosiruptor obsidiansis OB47 and its application for the production of L-fructose and L-rhamnulose. J Sci Food Agric. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8703
- Harding MM (2006) Small revisions to predicted distances around metal sites in proteins. Acta Crystallogr 62(6):678–682Google Scholar
- Johnston K, Clements A, Venkataramani RN, Trievel RC, Marmorstein R (2000) Coexpression of proteins in bacteria using T7-based expression plasmids: expression of heteromeric cell-cycle and transcriptional regulatory complexes. Protein Expr Purif 20(3):435–443. https://doi.org/10.1006/prep.2000.1313 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim KR, Seo ES, Oh DK (2014) L-ribose production from L-arabinose by immobilized recombinant Eescherichia coli co-expressing the L-arabinose isomerase and mannose-6-phosphate isomerase genes from Geobacillus thermodenitrificans. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 172(1):275–288. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0547-x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Korneeva OS, Cheremushkina IV, Glushchenko AS, Mikhaĭlova NA, Baturo AP, Romanenko ÉE, Zlygostev SA (2012) Prebiotic properties of mannose and its effect on specific resistance. Zhurnal Mikrobiol Epidemiol Immunobiol 5:67–70Google Scholar
- Lee SJ, Sang JL, Lee YJ, Kim SB, Kim SK, Lee DW (2012) Homologous alkalophilic and acidophilic L-arabinose isomerases reveal region-specific contributions to the pH dependence of activity and stability. Appl Environ Microbiol 78(24):8813–8816. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02114-12 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morita M, E S, K Y, Sakai T, Natori T, Koezuka Y, H F, K A (1996) Practical total synthesis of (2S,3S,4R)-1-O-(α-D-galactopyranosyl)-N-hexacosanoyl-2-amino-1,3,4-octadecanetriol, the antitumorial and immunostimulatory α-galactosylcer-amide, KRN7000. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 60(2):288–292. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.60.288 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Park CS, Kim JE, Choi JG, Oh DK (2011) Characterization of a recombinant cellobiose 2-epimerase from Caldicellulosiruptor saccharolyticus and its application in the production of mannose from glucose. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 92(6):1187–1196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-011-3403-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patel DH, Wi SG, Lee SG, Lee DS, Song YH, Bae HJ (2011) Substrate specificity of the Bacillus licheniformis lyxose isomerase YdaE and its application in in vitro catalysis for bioproduction of lyxose and glucose by two-step isomerization. Appl Environ Microbiol 77(10):3343–3350. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02693-10 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shen SC, Wu JSB (2010) Maillard browning in ethanolic solution. J Food Sci 69(4):FCT273–FCT279Google Scholar
- Vuksan V, Jenkins DJ, Spadafora P, Sievenpiper JL, Owen R, Vidgen E, Brighenti F, Josse R, Leiter LA, Bruce-Thompson C (1999) Konjac-mannan (glucomannan) improves glycemia and other associated risk factors for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. A randomized controlled metabolic trial. Diabetes Care 22(6):913–919. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.22.6.913 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar