Allergic-like contrast media reaction management in children
- 662 Downloads
The use of contrast materials as part of imaging examinations is common in children of all ages, as these compounds increase image contrast, lesion detection and lesion characterization. Though modern iodinated, gadolinium-based and ultrasound microbubble contrast materials generally are quite safe, acute physiological and allergic-like reactions are possible. The majority of acute contrast reactions in children are mild and self-limited; however, life-threatening reactions can occur. It is our obligation as radiologists to recognize and manage these adverse reactions. The objective of this article is to review the frequency, manifestations and appropriate treatment of acute contrast reactions in the pediatric population.
KeywordsAllergic-like reaction Anaphylactoid reaction Children Contrast material Contrast reaction Treatment
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
Drs. Dillman and Trout receive funding from Guerbet regarding clinical trial design. Dr. Dillman also receives funding from Bracco Diagnostics related to contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Dr. Davenport has no disclosures.
- 1.American College of Radiology (2017) ACR–SPR practice parameter for the use of intravascular contrast media. https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/Practice-Parameters/ivcm.pdf. Accessed 09 Aug 2018
- 3.American College of Radiology (2017) ACR manual on contrast media. https://www.acr.org/Clinical-Resources/Contrast-Manual. Accessed 09 Aug 2018
- 12.Olson MC, Atwell TD, Knudsen JM (2018) Anaphylactic reaction to an ultrasound contrast agent (Lumason) in a patient with systemic mastocytosis. J Clin Ultrasound. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcu.22585
- 17.Lopez AM (2010) Antihistamine toxicity. In: Tarabar A (ed) Medscape.com, https://misc.medscape.com/pi/iphone/medscapeapp/html/A812828-business.html. Accessed 09 Aug 2018
- 18.National Center for Biotechnology Information (2018) PubChem Compound Database; CID=3100 (Diphenhydramine). https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/3100. Accessed 09 Aug 2018
- 19.United States Department of Health and Human Services (2017) Albuterol – Medical Countermeasures Database. https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/countermeasure_albuterol.htm. Accessed 09 Aug 2018
- 20.Prescribers Digital Reference, LLC (2018) Albuterol sulfate inhalation solution 0.083% drug information. http://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Albuterol-Sulfate-Inhalation-Solution-0-083-albuterol-sulfate-1427. Accessed 09 Aug 2018