Another point of view on 2017 PRETEXT: reply to Pariente et al.
We would like to thank our friends and colleagues from the French Pediatric Liver Tumor Group for their helpful critique of our paper titled “2017 PRETEXT: radiologic staging system for primary hepatic malignancies of childhood revised for the Paediatric Hepatic International Tumour Trial (PHITT)” [1, 2]. Their participation in past studies, and their collaboration and leadership in the PHITT trial are both valuable and important to the success of this trial. Each of their concerns warrants our response.
We believe that the treating institution can and should determine the imaging modality used in children with a liver tumor. However, pediatric liver tumors are rare, and most institutions have little experience with the imaging management of these children. The 2017 version of the PRETEXT (pre-treatment extent of tumor) categorization represents a consensus statement from many of the world’s pediatric liver tumor experts . The recommendations...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 2.Pariente D, Franchi-Abella S, Cellier C et al (2018) Another point of view on 2017 PRETEXT. Pediatr Radiol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-018-4227-4
- 6.Meyers RL, Dunn S, Langham M et al (2013) Children’s Oncology Group (COG) AHEP0731: early results from PRETEXT central review in high risk patients. Paper presented at the 4th World Congress of Pediatric Surgery, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 7.O'Neill AF, Towbin AJ, Krailo MD et al (2017) Characterization of pulmonary metastases in children with hepatoblastoma treated on Children's Oncology Group protocol AHEP0731 (the treatment of children with all stages of hepatoblastoma): a report from the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 35:3465–3473CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.ClinicalTrials.Gov Paediatric Hepatic International Tumour Trial (PHITT). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03017326. Accessed 7 July 2018
- 9.Paediatric Hepatic International Tumour Trial. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/mds/trials/crctu/trials/phitt/index.aspx. Accessed 7 July 2018