A Nonlinear Optimal Control Problem Arising from a Sterilization Process for Packaged Foods
- 165 Downloads
In this paper we study an optimization problem arising from a sterilization process for packaged foods by using a microwave heating method. The goal of the optimal control is to find the optimal frequency function such that the temperature profile at the final stage has a relative uniform distribution in the food product. The underlying state variables are electric, magnetic fields and temperature which satisfy the coupled nonlinear Maxwell’s system and a nonlinear heat equation. The control variable for the system is chosen to be the electric frequency function. We show that there exists an optimal frequency which minimizes the cost functional. Moreover, an optimality condition is also derived.
KeywordsTime-harmonic Maxwell’s equations Optimal control for microwave sterilization Optimal frequency
Mathematics Subject Classification35Q60 35J70 35K55
Many thanks to the anonymous referees for their comments and suggestions. The main result of this paper was reported by the first author at SIAM Conference on Control and its Applications from July 8-10, 2015, at Paris, France. The work of the second author is supported by a Chinese Natural Science Research Grant No. 11261011.
- 12.Lasiecka, I., Triggiani, R.: Control theory for partial differential equations: continuous and approximation theories. I. Abstract parabolic systems. In: Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications, vol. 74. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Lasiecka, I., Triggiani, R.: Control theory for partial differential equations: continuous and approximation theories. II. Abstract hyperbolic-like systems over a finite time horizon. In: Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 75. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Metaxas, A.C.: Foundations of Electroheat, A Unified Approach. Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 16.Metaxas, A.C., Meredith, R.J.: Industrial Microwave Heating. I.E.E. Power Engineering Series, vol. 4. Per Peregrimus Ltd., London (1983)Google Scholar
- 20.Tang, J., Liu, F., Pathak, S., Eves, G.: Apparatus and method for heating objectes with microwaves, US Patent No. 7,119,313, approved 10 Oct 2006Google Scholar
- 25.Tsering-Xiao, B., Xiang, W.: Regularity of solutions to time-harmonic Maxwell’s system with various lower than Lipschitz coefficients. arXiv:1603.01922, March 7, 2016