Intralesional cryosurgery for the treatment of basal cell carcinoma in an elderly patient
The incidence of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) on the lower extremities of elderly patients, who have co-morbidity, is rising. The surgical technique to treat those skin neoplasms on the legs should take into account difficulties in wound healing, dehiscence, or necrosis of the surgical wound, failed skin grafting, and wound infection due to blood supply and innervation disturbances and reduced quality of the skin. Spray/contact cryosurgery is one of the well-established, older therapies for BCC and is widely used with hardly any contraindications and with a high cure rate. This case report is the first in the medical literature to present a successful removal of two BCCs on the leg of an elderly patient by employing a novel and new intralesional cryosurgery technology.
KeywordsIntralesional cryosurgery BCC Lower extremity Elderly patient
Conflict of interest
The author Y.H.S has a financial interest in the intralesional cryosurgery technology.
- 3.Roenigk RK, Ratz JK, Bailin PL, Wheeland RG (1984) Trends in the presentation of BCC. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 12:860–865Google Scholar
- 13.Har-Shai Y, Brown W, Labbé D, Dompmartin A, Goldine I, Gil T, Mettanes I, Pallua N (2008) Intralesional cryosurgery for the treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids following aesthetic surgery: the results of a prospective observational study. Int J Low Extrem Wounds 7:169–175PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mirmovich O, Gil T, Lavi I, Goldine I, Mettanes I, Har-Shai Y (2012) Pain evaluation and control during and following the treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids employing contact and intralesional cryosurgery-a preliminary study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol (in press)Google Scholar
- 18.Soanes WA, Albin RJ, Gonder MJ (1970) Remission of metastatic lesions following cryosurgery in prostatic cancer: immunologic considerations. J Urol 140:154–159Google Scholar
- 20.Messeguer F, Serra-Guillen C, Echeverria B, Requena C, Sanmartin O, Llombart C, Guillen C, Nagore E (2012) A pilot study of clinical efficacy of imiquimod and cryotherapy for the treatment of BCC with incomplete response to imiquimod. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol (in press)Google Scholar