European Journal of Plastic Surgery

, Volume 26, Issue 6, pp 290–293 | Cite as

Splintage for correction of congenital ear deformities

  • F. SchonauerEmail author
  • G. Fera
  • I. LaRusca
  • G. Molea


Many congenital ear deformities involve abnormal plical folding, most commonly affecting the helix and the antihelix. Non-hypoplastic auricular deformities can be corrected by appropriate splinting in the early neonatal period without anaesthetic and with minimal cost. At this time, oestrogen activity is increased and the ear cartilage is very malleable. The splinting therapy, devised and popularized in Japan, has not been widely used in Europe. A series of 26 patients having various ear deformities treated by splintage in the early neonate period is presented. Excellent results were achieved in 82% of the splinted ears. In the other 18% results were satisfactory or good. No complications occurred in the series. In conclusion, ear splintage is an effective technique that should be more frequently offered to parents of affected neonates.


Congenital Ear Splintage Non-surgical 


  1. 1.
    Kurozumi N, Ono S, Ishida H (1982) Non surgical correction of a congenital lop ear deformity by splinting with Reston foam. Br J Plast Surg 35:181PubMedGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Matsuo K, Hirose T, Tomono T, Iwasawa M, Katohda S, Takahashi N, Koh B (1984) Nonsurgical correction of congenital auricular deformities in the early neonate: a preliminary report. Plast Reconstr Surg 73:38PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Matsuo K, Hajashi R, Kijono M, Hirose T, Netsu Y (1990) Nonsurgical correction of congenital auricular deformities. Clin Plast Surg 17:383PubMedGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Tan ST, Shibu M, Gault DT (1994) A splint for correction of congenital ear deformities. Brit J Plast Surg 47:575PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Tanzer RC (1975) The constricted (cup and lop) ear. Plast Reconstr Surg 55:406PubMedGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Yotsuyanagi T, Yokoi K, Urushidate S, Sawada Y (1998) Non-surgical correction of congenital auricular deformities in children older than early neonates. Plast Reconstr Surg 101:907PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2003

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of Plastic Surgery University of Naples "Federico II"NaplesItaly

Personalised recommendations