Experimental investigation of thermal conductivity enhancement of carbon foam saturated with PCM and PCM/MWCNTs composite for energy storage systems
- 129 Downloads
Enhancing the characteristics of the heat transfer of paraffin wax (RT65) as PCM (Phase Change Material) is required to be used in energy storage system. Carbon Foam matrix (CF20) and other Multi Walls Carbon Nano Tubes (MWCNTs) additives have been recently used on the research and applications levels for this enhancement. Quantitate evaluation of the thermal conductivity enhancement due to these additives have not been addressed. In the present work, experimental investigation for predicting correlations for the thermal conductivities of CF20 infiltrated either with RT65 as a PCM or RT65/MWCNTs composite as thermal conductivity enhancer have been conducted for different percentages of MWCNTs and temperatures. The results showed that (i) the reduction of CF20 thermal conductivity due to RT65 infiltration can be regained by the addition of MWCNTs to RT65, and (ii) the enhancement in the thermal conductivity of RT65-MWCNTs composite and CF20 + RT65-MWCNTs structure increases with increasing the MWCNTs percentage and decreasing the sample temperature. Correlations of thermal conductivity of RT65/MWCNTs and CF20 + RT65/MWCNTs are deduced in terms of the MWCNTs percentage and temperature. The correlations prediction was compared with the present experimental data and a fair agreement has been obtained.
Module area (m2).
Thermal conductivity (W/m.K).
Input heating power (W).
Axial distance (m).
Mass Percentage of carbon nano tubes.
Phase Change Material
Multi Walled Carbon Nano Tubes
- 17.Wirtz R, Fuchs A, Narla V, Shen Y, Zhao T, Jiang Y (2003) A multifunctional graphite/epoxy-based thermal energy storage composite for temperature control of sensors and electronics. AIAA Paper, 0513Google Scholar
- 18.Fedden AD, Franke ME (2006) Graphitized carbon foam with phase change material for thermal energy storage, in: Proceedings of the Ninth AIAA/ASME Joint Thermophysics and Heat Transfer ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- 28.Alshaer WG, del Barrio EP, Rady MA, Abdellatif OE, Nada SA (2013) Analysis of the anomalous thermal properties of phase change materials based on paraffin wax and multi walls carbon nanotubes. International journal on heat and mass transfer –Theory and Applications 1(5):297–307Google Scholar
- 29.Alshaer WG, Rady MA, Nada SA, Del Barrio EP, Sommier A (2016) An experimental investigation of using carbon foam–PCM–MWCNTs composite materials for thermal management of electronic devices under pulsed power modes. Heat Mass Transf. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-016-1815-4
- 30.Holman JP, Gajda WJ (1989) Experimental method for engineers. McGraw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar