Brown potato croquettes low in acrylamide by coating with egg/breadcrumbs
- 161 Downloads
Potato croquettes are preparations of mashed potato or potato powder with milk powder or egg, fried in oil or baked in the oven. Product identity calls for fairly strong browning, which may cause high acrylamide contents. Prefabricates from the Swiss market resulted in products of intermediate acrylamide content (50–570 µg/kg), strongly depending on frying conditions. The potential of acrylamide formation of these products was modest, since the potato powder used was low in reducing sugars and asparagine. Defatted milk powder increased the 120 °C potential by 200–700 µg/kg (lactose), whereas egg was approximately neutral. Coating with egg/breadcrumbs resulted in stronger browning and at the same time in reduced acrylamide formation. It shields the potato from the heat by a material the browning of which is not linked with acrylamide formation. Croquettes prepared from fresh potato confirmed that coating with egg/breadcrumbs improves the product quality while strongly decreasing the acrylamide content.
KeywordsCroquettes Acrylamide Potential of acrylamide formation Lactose
We thank U. Vollmer, Frigemo Produktions AG, Chur, Switzerland, for important information and samples from the industrial preparation.
- 2.Friedman M (2003) J Agric Food Chem 51:4504–4526Google Scholar
- 4.World Health Organization (2002) Press release WHO/51 27 June 2002Google Scholar
- 5.Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on new findings regarding the presence of acrylamide in food (expressed on 3 July 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Fiselier K, Gama-Baumgartner F, Fiscalini A, Biedermann M, Grob K, Imhof D, Beer M (2004) Mitt Lebensm Hyg (not available yet)Google Scholar
- 8.Noti A, Biedermann-Brem S, Biedermann M, Grob P, Albisser P, Realini P (2003) Mitt Lebensm Hyg 94:167–180Google Scholar
- 9.Biedermann M, Biedermann-Brem S, Noti A, Grob K (2002) Mitt Lebensm Hyg 93:653–667Google Scholar
- 10.Biedermann M, Biedermann-Brem S, Noti A, Grob K, Egli P, Mändli H (2002) Mitt Lebensm Hyg 93:638–652Google Scholar
- 11.Amrein TM, Bachmann S, Noti A, Biedermann M, Ferraz Barbosa M, Biedermann-Brem S, Grob K, Keiser A, Realini P, Escher F, Amadò R (2003) J Agric Food Chem 51:5556–5560Google Scholar
- 12.Biedermann M, Noti A, Biedermann-Brem S, Mozzetti V, Grob K (2002) Mitt Lebensm Hyg 93:668–687Google Scholar
- 14.Biedermann M, Grob K (2003) Mitt Lebensm Hyg 94:406–422Google Scholar