Tuning of gold nanoclusters sensing applications with bovine serum albumin and bromelain for detection of Hg2+ ion and lambda-cyhalothrin via fluorescence turn-off and on mechanisms
- 293 Downloads
Herein, fluorescent gold nanoclusters (Au NCs) were obtained by one-pot synthetic method using bovine serum albumin (BSA) and bromelain as templates. As-synthesized fluorescent Au NCs were stable and showed bright red fluorescence under UV lamp at 365 nm. The fluorescent Au NCs exhibit the emission intensity at 648 nm when excited at 498 nm. Various techniques were used such as spectroscopy (UV-visible, fluorescence, and Fourier-transform infrared), high-resolution transmission electron microscopy, and dynamic light scattering for the characterization of fluorescent Au NCs. The values of I0/I at 648 nm are proportional to the concentrations of Hg2+ ion in the range from 0.00075 to 5.0 μM and of lambda-cyhalothrin in the range from 0.01 to 10 μM with detection limits of 0.0003 and 0.0075 μM for Hg2+ ion and lambda-cyhalothrin, respectively. The practical application of the probe was successfully demonstrated by analyzing Hg2+ ion and lambda-cyhalothrin in water samples. In addition, Au NCs used as probes for imaging of Simplicillium fungal cells. These results indicated that the as-synthesized Au NCs have proven to be promising fluorescent material for the sensing of Hg2+ ion and lambda-cyhalothrin in environmental and for imaging of microorganism cells in biomedical applications.
KeywordsAu NCs BSA Bromelain Hg2+ ion Lambda-cyhalothrin Optical spectroscopy
We gratefully acknowledge financial support by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India (EMR/2016/002621/IPC). Ms. Bhamore acknowledges the Director, SVNIT, Surat for financial support under the Doctoral Program.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water: Washington, DC, U.S. EPA. 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.Mercury update: impact on fish advisories, EPA Fact Sheet EPA-823-F-01-001.Google Scholar
- 18.Deme P, Azmeera T, Devi LAP, Jonnalagadda PR, Prasad RBN, Vijaya Sarathi UVR. An improved dispersive solid-phase extraction clean-up method for the gas chromatography–negative chemical ionisation tandem mass spectrometric determination of multiclass pesticide residues in edible oils. Food Chem. 2014;142:144–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Jin R. Atomically precise metal nanoclusters: stable sizes and optical properties. Nano. 2015;7:1549–65.Google Scholar
- 33.Sun J, Yang F, Yang X. Synthesis of functionalized fluorescent gold nanoclusters for acid phosphatase sensing. Nano. 2015;7:16372–80.Google Scholar
- 46.Jha MK, Patra AK, Gadhia M, Ravi PM, Hegde AG, Multivariate SPK. Statistical interpretation of physico-chemical and radiological parameters of tapi river water due to the operation of kakrapar atomic power station. Int. J Environ Prot. 2012;2:22–9.Google Scholar