Exploring the binding of two potent anticancer drugs bosutinib and imatinib mesylate with bovine serum albumin: spectroscopic and molecular dynamic simulation studies
Bosutinib (BST) and imatinib mesylate (IMT) are tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs). In view of the importance of these inhibitors in cancer treatment, we investigated the mechanism of interaction between BST/IMT and bovine serum albumin (BSA) using various spectroscopic and molecular docking methods. Fluorescence studies indicated that BST/IMT interacted with BSA without affecting the microenvironment around the residue Trp213 of BSA. The quenching mechanism associated with the BST–BSA and IMT–BSA interactions was determined by performing fluorescence measurements at different temperatures. These results suggested that BST and IMT quenched the fluorescence intensity of BSA through static and dynamic processes, respectively, which was confirmed by time-resolved fluorescence measurements. Evaluation of the thermodynamic parameters ∆H°, ∆S°, and ∆G° suggested that hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions played significant roles in the BST–BSA interaction, while IMT–BSA was stabilized by hydrophobic forces. Competitive experimental results revealed that the primary binding sites for BST and IMT on BSA were sites II and I, respectively. This was supported by the results of molecular docking and dynamic simulation studies. The change in the secondary structure of BSA upon binding with BST/IMT was investigated by 3D fluorescence, absorption, and CD spectroscopic studies. In addition, the influences of β-cyclodextrin and metal ions (Cu2+ and Zn2+) on the binding affinities of BST and IMT to BSA were examined.
KeywordsInteraction Bosutinib Imatinib mesylate β-Cyclodextrin Molecular dynamic simulation
The authors thank the University Grant Commission, New Delhi, for providing the financial support to carry out this work [F. no. 43-205/2014(SR) dated 18-08-2015]. Thanks are also due to the Chairman, Department of Molecular Biophysics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, for CD facilities. One of the authors (Suma K. Pawar) acknowledges the University Grant Commission, New Delhi, for awarding the Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (F1-17.1/2016-17/RGNF-2015-17-SC-KAR-11858 dated January 2016).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Amit A, Eric MS. Role of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in cancer therapy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005;315:971–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Puttini M, Coluccia AML, Boschelli F, Cleris L, Marchesi E, Donella-Deana A, et al. In vitro and in vivo activity of SKI-606, a novel Src-Abl inhibitor, against imatinib-resistant Bcr-Abl+ neoplastic cells. Cancer Res. 2006;66:11314–22.Google Scholar
- 4.Cortes JE, Kim DW, Kantarjian HM, Brümmendorf TH, Dyagil I, Griskevicus L, et al. Bosutinib versus imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia: results from the BELA trial. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:3486–92.Google Scholar
- 6.Ashwini HH, Reeta P, Seetharamappa J. Optical, structural and thermodynamic studies of the association of an anti-leucamic drug imatinib mesylate with transport protein. J Fluoresc. 2012;22:521–8.Google Scholar
- 8.Ashwini HH, Seetharamappa J. Fluorescence and circular dichroism studies on binding and conformational aspects of an anti-leukemic drug with DNA. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;4:67–71.Google Scholar
- 20.Xianyong Y, Bingfei J, Zhixi L, Yue J, Pinggui Y. Study on the interaction between besifloxacin and bovine serum albumin by spectroscopic techniques. Spectrochim Acta Part A. 2015;149:116–21.Google Scholar
- 25.Sarah CR, Robert JT, Lorenzo B. Biophysical characterization of the interaction of human albumin with an anionic porphyrin. Biochem Biophys Rep. 2016;7:295–02.Google Scholar
- 26.Xuejie L, Xiaoning C, Xiuna Y, Shan Z. Mechanistic and conformational studies on the interaction of anesthetic sevoflurane with human serum albumin by multispectroscopic methods. J Mol Liq. 2017;241:577–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2017.05.154.
- 35.Rabbani G, Baig MH, Jan AT, Ju Lee E, Khan MV, Zaman M, Farouk AE, Khan RH, Choi I. Binding of erucic acid with human serum albumin using a spectroscopic and molecular docking study. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.04.051.
- 37.Shuyun B, Tingting Z, Huifeng Z, Yu W, Zhihong L. Probing the interactions of bromchlorbuterol-HCl and phenylethanolamine A with HSA by multi-spectroscopic and molecular docking technique. J Chem Thermodyn. 2016;97:113–21.Google Scholar
- 42.Sudha N, Sameena Y, Enoch IVMV. β-Cyclodextrin encapsulates biochanin A and influences its binding to bovine serum albumin: alteration of the binding strength. J Solut Chem. 2016;45:431–44.Google Scholar