Determination of succinate-dehydrogenase-inhibitor fungicide residues in fruits and vegetables by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry
- 612 Downloads
In recent years, a second generation of succinate-dehydrogenase-inhibitor (SDHI) fungicides has been introduced into the market for effective treatment of fruit and vegetable crops, with fluxapyroxad, boscalid, fluopyram, penflufen, bixafen, penthiopyrad, and isopyrazam being some of the members of this new class of agrochemical. We herein report the development of an analytical procedure for the determination of residues of these SDHI fungicides in food samples, based on a modification of the QuEChERS extraction method followed by ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled to tandem-mass-spectrometry determination. The proposed method reached limits of detection from 0.8 to 2.0 μg L−1. Apple, strawberry, tomato, and spinach samples were used as model samples. Spiked samples, from 10 to 1000 μg kg−1, were analysed by the proposed method and quantitative recoveries were obtained (from 81 to 115 % for apples, from 84 to 136 % for strawberries, from 84 to 135 % for tomatoes, and from 80 to 136 % for spinach), with precision better than 20 % in all cases. Thus, the proposed method can be used for the analysis of SDHI fungicide residues to efficiently ensure that marketed fruits and vegetables comply with the maximum residue levels established by competent authorities.
KeywordsResidues Fungicides Food safety QuEChERS UPLC
This work was supported by the Spanish Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad (AGL2012–39965–C02–01/02) and cofinanced by FEDER funds. J.V.M. is hired by the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) under a Ramón y Cajal contract, cofinanced by Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and by the European Social Fund. E.C.-A. is recipient of a predoctoral fellowship from the “Atracció de Talent, VLC-CAMPUS” program of the University of Valencia.
- 2.Regulation (EC) No 396/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 February 2005 on maximum residue levels of pesticides in or on food and feed of plant and animal origin and amending Council Directive 91/414/EEC. http://ec.europa.eu/sanco_pesticides/ Accessed 30 Jan 2015
- 3.United States electronic code of Federal Regulations, tolerances and exemptions for pesticide chemical residues in food, Title 40, Chapter I, Subchapter E, Part 180. http://www.ecfr.gov/ Accessed 30 Jan 2015
- 4.Pesticide Residues in Food and Feed - CODEX Alimentarius http://www.codexalimentarius.net/pestres/data/index.html Accessed 30 Jan 2015
- 11.Guan W, Ma Y, Zhang H (2012) Residue and dissipation dynamics of fluopyram in cucumber and soil. Adv Mater Res 347–353:2255–2259Google Scholar
- 13.Lehotay SJ (2007) Determination of pesticide residues in foods by acetonitrile extraction and partitioning with magnesium sulfate: Collaborative study. J AOAC Int 90:485–520Google Scholar
- 14.European Committee for Standardisation (2008) Foods of plant origin – Determination of pesticide residues using GC–MS and/or LC–MS/MS following acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and clean−up by dispersive SPE – QuEChERS–method. EN 15662. http://www.cen.eu/. Accessed 30 Jan 2015
- 15.Li S, Liu X, Zhu Y, Dong F, Xu J, Li M, Zheng Y (2014) A statistical approach to determine fluxapyroxad and its three metabolites in soils, sediment and sludge based on a combination of chemometric tools and a modified quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged and safe method. J Chromatogr A 1358:46–51CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Lozano A, Rajski Ł, Belmonte-Valles N, Uclés A, Uclés S, Mezcua M, Fernández-Alba AR (2012) Pesticide analysis in teas and chamomile by liquid chromatography and gas chromatography tandem mass spectrometry using a modified QuEChERS method: validation and pilot survey in real samples. J Chromatogr A 1268:109–122CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.European Commission (2013) Guidance document on analytical quality control and validation procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed. SANCO/12571/2013. http://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/pesticides/guidance_documents/docs/qualcontrol_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Jan 2015