Certification of a reference material of metal content in atmospheric particles deposited on filters
- 303 Downloads
Air quality is one of the areas in Europe where a series of EU Directives have been published with the aim of achieving improved long-term and harmonised air quality objectives across the European Union. This paper describes the production of a certified reference material, aiming to support QA/QC programmes of analytical laboratories in the framework of the air quality monitoring activities. The certified values are the As, Cd, Ni and Pb masses in PM10 particles deposited on quartz filters (CRM SL-MR-2-PSF-01). All the steps of the certification, i.e. the material characterisation, homogeneity and stability evaluation and uncertainty calculation, were performed according to the ISO guide 35 guidelines. The certification was conducted using the characterisation by a single method approach based on isotope dilution for cadmium, nickel, and lead and gravimetric standard addition calibration for arsenic associated with inductively coupled mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). The amounts of the four elements are in the range of the target values regulated by EU Directives.
KeywordsCertified Reference Material PM10 Loaded filters Metal content Air quality monitoring EU Directives Air quality EU Directives
The authors are grateful to the LCSQA programme for the technical and financial support. The authors also thank Mrs. Catherine Yardin (LNE) for the fruitful discussions on uncertainty evaluation.
- 1.Directive 2008/50/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2008 on ambient air quality and cleaner air for Europe. Off J Eur Union Eur CommGoogle Scholar
- 2.Directive 2004/107/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 December 2004 relating to arsenic, cadmium, mercury, nickel and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in ambient air. Off J Eur Union, Eur CommGoogle Scholar
- 3.ISO/CEI 17025:2005 General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratoriesGoogle Scholar
- 5.ISO GUIDE 34:2009(E): General requirements for the competence of reference material producersGoogle Scholar
- 6.EN 14902:2005, Standard method for the measurement of Pb, Cd, As and Ni in the PM10 fraction of suspended particulate matterGoogle Scholar
- 7.ISO 14644–1: Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments—Part 1: Classification of air cleanlinessGoogle Scholar
- 8.ISO 21501–3:2007 Determination of particle size distribution—single particle light interaction methods—part 3: light extinction liquid-borne particle counterGoogle Scholar
- 9.ISO Guide 35:2006, Reference materials—general and statistical principles for certificationGoogle Scholar
- 11.JCGM 200:2008, International vocabulary of metrology—basic and general concepts and associated termsGoogle Scholar
- 14.JCGM 100:2008, Evaluation of measurement data—guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurementGoogle Scholar