Identification and monitoring of thiabendazole transformation products in water during Fenton degradation by LC-QTOF-MS
- 490 Downloads
This work enabled the identification of major transformation products (TPs) of thiabendazole (TBZ) during the Fenton process. TBZ is a benzimidazole fungicide widely used around the world to prevent and/or treat a wide range of fruit and vegetable pathogens. The degradation of the parent molecule and the identification of the main TPs were carried out in demineralized water. The TPs were monitored and identified by liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry (LC-QTOF-MS/MS). Up to 12 TPs were tentatively identified. Most of them were eliminated after 15 min of treatment time and originated from numerous hydroxylations undergone by the aromatic ring during the initial stages of the process.
KeywordsThiabendazole Fenton Transformation products LC-QTOF-MS/MS
This research was supported by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (FOTOREG, CTQ 2010-20740-C03-01/PPQ and CTQ 2010-20740-C03-03/PPQ) and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). Irene Carra would like to acknowledge the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport for her FPU scholarship (AP2010-3218).
- 6.Ito Y, Ikai Y, Oka H, Hayakawa J, Kagami T (1998) Application of ion-exchange cartridge clean-up in food analysis: I. Simultaneous determination of thiabendazole and imazalil in citrus fruit and banana using high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr A 810:81–87CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cuadros S, Manresa MÀ, Font J, Bautista ME, Puig R, Marsal A (2012) Alternative fungicides for the leather industry: application in various processes. J Soc Leath Tech Ch 96:225–233Google Scholar
- 10.Sievers M (2011) Advanced oxidation processes. Treatise on Water Science 4:377–408Google Scholar
- 19.Malato S, Albanis T, Piedra L, Agüera A, Hernando D, Fernández-Alba A (2003) In: Ferrer I, Thurman EM (eds) Liquid chromatography/ mass spectrometry, MS/MS and time-of-flight MS analysis of emerging contaminants. American Chemical Society, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Agüera A, Gómez-Ramos MM, Fernandez-Alba AR (2012) In: Fernandez-Alba AR (ed) TOF-MS within food and environmental analysis. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar