Determination of organic acids in Vaccinium berry standard reference materials
- 495 Downloads
Nine organic acids (citric acid, galacturonic acid, glycolic acid, isocitric acid, malic acid, oxalic acid, quinic acid, shikimic acid, and tartaric acid) and two anions (phosphate and sulfate) were determined in a suite of Vaccinium berry-containing dietary supplement standard reference materials (SRMs). Following solvent extraction, three independent methods were utilized in the quantification of these compounds. The first method involved reversed-phase liquid chromatography with ultraviolet absorbance detection at 210 nm and isotope dilution mass spectrometry. The second method utilized ion chromatography with conductivity detection. Finally, gas chromatography with isotope dilution mass spectrometry detection was used following derivatization with N-methyl-N-trifluoroacetamide (MSTFA). The combined data from these methods was used for the assignment of organic acid levels in the seven candidate SRMs.
KeywordsOrganic acids Berry Liquid chromatography Gas chromatography Ion chromatography Mass spectrometry Isotope dilution
The development of this suite of seven Vaccinium berry SRMs is part of a collaborative effort with the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements (NIH-ODS) and the Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (FDA-CDER). The authors would like to acknowledge the assistance of Dr. Elizabeth McGaw (NIST) in GC-IDMS method development.
- 1.Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (1994) Public Law 103–417 [S.784]; Oct 25Google Scholar
- 2.Dennis J (2010) Nutraceuticals World. http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/contents/view/17971. Accessed 01 June 2010
- 6.Kontiokari T, Laitinen J, Jarvi L, Pokka T, Sundqvist K, Uhari M (2003) Am J Clin Nutr 77:600–604Google Scholar
- 8.Kuzuminski LN (1996) Nutr Rev 54:11Google Scholar
- 15.Coppola ED, Starr MS (1986) J AOAC Int 69:594–597Google Scholar
- 16.Ehlenfeldt MK, Meredith FI, Ballington JR (1994) HortScience 29:321–323Google Scholar
- 22.Wise SA, Sharpless KE, Sander LC, May WE (2004) Accr Qual Assur 9:543–550Google Scholar
- 23.Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (2008) JCGM 100:2008Google Scholar
- 24.Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (2008) JCGM 101:2008Google Scholar
- 25.Efron B, Tibshirani RJ (1993) An introduction to the bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar