An immunochemical test for rapid screening of zearalenone and T-2 toxin
- 242 Downloads
An immunochemically based test for non-instrumental simultaneous detection of zearalenone (ZEA) and T-2 toxin (T2) in feed was developed. The method combines clean-up of sample extract, pre-concentration of analytes by immunoextraction and immunodetection through the enzymatic reaction of horseradish peroxidase (HRP). The test is housed inside a standard 1-mL solid-phase extraction column and consists of three layers: two test layers (one for ZEA and another for T2) with immobilised specific antibodies and one control layer with bound anti-HRP antibodies. Feed extract was passed through an additional column with clean-up layer, which was disconnected after extract application. Total assay time was about 15 min for six samples and detection time was 4 min after chromogenic substrate application. Under optimised conditions a cut-off level for ZEA and T2 of 100 µg/kg was established. Different feed types were analysed for ZEA and T2 contamination by the proposed method and results were confirmed by LC-MS/MS.
KeywordsNon-instrumental test Visual detection Fusarium toxin Mycotoxin Zearalenone T-2 toxin Feed
The authors would like to acknowledge the cooperation agreement between Ghent University and Saratov State University. The Belgian federal Science Policy is acknowledged for its financial support; bilateral action; joint Belgian–Chinese project on “Joint study of Fusarium and related mycotoxins in food: detection and control” Bl/02/C46.
- 1.JECFA (2001) Joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives, 56th meeting. Geneva, Switzerland, 6–15 February 2001Google Scholar
- 11.Abouzied MM, Pestka JJ (1994) J AOAC Int 77:495–501Google Scholar
- 18.Burmistrova NA, Goryacheva IYu, Basova EYu, Franki AS, Elewaut D, Van Beneden K, Deforce D, Van Peteghem C, De Saeger S (2009) Anal Bioanal Chem. doi: 10.1007/s00216-009-2913-7
- 21.Monbaliu S, Van Poucke C, Detavernier C, Dumoulin F, Van De Velde M, Schoeters E, Van Dyck S, Averkieva O, Van Peteghem C, De Saeger S (2009) J Agric Food Chem. doi: 10.1021/jf9038592
- 22.Basova EY, Goryacheva IY, Mikhirev DA, Rusanova TY, Burmistrova NA, Kerkaert B, Cucu T, De Saeger S, De Meulenauer B (2009) Anal Methods. doi: 10.1039/b9ay00144a