Probing optical properties of thiophene derivatives for two-photon absorption
- 248 Downloads
We report a state-of-the-art characterization of the linear and nonlinear optical properties of two recent synthesized organic dyes based on the 2,5-dithienylpyrrole motifs. In particular after a careful conformational search was performed, the absorption spectra have been obtained at time-dependent density functional theory level taking into account vibrational and dynamical effects via a Wigner exploration of the potential energy surface. Furthermore, the excited state topology and electronic density reorganization have been characterized using natural transition orbitals and the charge transfer character quantified through recent developed descriptors, also allowing for the rationalization of the poor interfacial electron injection properties exhibited by the dyes when grafted on TiO2 surfaces. Finally, two-photon absorption spectra have been calculated, extremely high cross sections have been obtained in the infrared region paving the way to the possible exploitation of the previous dyes for the development of photoactive smart materials or photodynamic therapy.
KeywordsTwo-photon absorption (TPA) 2,5-Dithienylpyrrole (DTP) Time-dependent density functional (TD-DFT) Vibrational resolved spectra
Support from the University of Lorraine and French CNRS is gratefully acknowledged. AM thanks Campus France for support under the bilateral “Bosphorus” 35649PL PHC program covering students mobility. SC acknowledges TUBITAK-PIA (Project No: 115Z863) for financial support.
- 13.Babilas P, Landthaler M, Szeimies R-M (2006) Photodynamic therapy in dermatology. Eur J Dermatol 16:340–348Google Scholar
- 18.Tsai C-L, Chen J-C, Wang W-J (2001) Near-infrared absorption property of biological soft tissue constituents. J Med Biol Eng 21:7–14Google Scholar
- 36.Zhao Y, Truhlar DG (2008) The M06 suite of density functionals for main group thermochemistry, thermochemical kinetics, noncovalent interactions, excited states, and transition elements: two new functionals and systematic testing of four M06-class functionals and 12 other function. Theor Chem Acc 120:215–241CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenber DJ (2009) Gaussian 09. Revision D.01, Inc, Wallingford CTGoogle Scholar
- 49.Peach MJG, Benfield P, Helgaker T, Tozer DJ (2008) Excitation energies in density functional theory: an evaluation and a diagnostic test. J Chem Phys 128:044118–(1–8)Google Scholar