CompASM: an Amber-VMD alanine scanning mutagenesis plug-in
Alanine scanning mutagenesis (ASM) of protein–protein interfacial residues is a popular means to understand the structural and energetic characteristics of hot spots in protein complexes. In this work, we present a computational approach that allows performing such type of analysis based on the molecular mechanics/Poisson–Boltzmann surface area method. This computational approach has been used largely in the past and has proven to give reliable results in a wide range of complexes. However, the sequential preparation and manual submission of dozens of files has been often a major obstacle in using it. To overcome these limitations and turn this approach user-friendly, we have designed the plug-in CompASM (computational alanine scanning mutagenesis). This software has an easy-to-use graphical interface to prepare the input files, run the calculations, and analyze the final results. CompASM was built in TCL/TK programming language to be included in VMD as a plug-in. The CompASM package is distributed as an independent platform, with script code under the GNU Public License from http://compbiochem.org/Software/compasm/Home.html.
KeywordsProtein–protein interactions Amber VMD MMPBSA Software
- 6.Kollman PA, Massova I, Reyes C, Kuhn B, Huo SH, Chong L, Lee M, Lee T, Duan Y, Wang W, Donini O, Cieplak P, Srinivasan J, Case DA, Cheatham TE (2000) Calculating structures and free energies of complex molecules: combining molecular mechanics and continuum models. Acc Chem Res 33(12):889–897. doi:10.1021/Ar000033j CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Cornell WD, Cieplak P, Bayly CI, Gould IR, Merz KM, Ferguson DM, Spellmeyer DC, Fox T, Caldwell JW, Kollman PA (1996) A second generation force field for the simulation of proteins, nucleic acids, and organic molecules (vol 117, pg 5179, 1995). J Am Chem Soc 118(9):2309–2309Google Scholar
- 9.Rocchia W, Sridharan S, Nicholls A, Alexov E, Chiabrera A, Honig B (2002) Rapid grid-based construction of the molecular surface and the use of induced surface charge to calculate reaction field energies: applications to the molecular systems and geometric objects. J Comput Chem 23(1):128–137CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Case DA, Darden TA, Cheatham, Simmerling CL, Wang J, Duke RE, Luo R, Merz KM, Pearlman DA, Crowley M, Walker RC, Zhang W, Wang B, Hayik S, Roitberg A, Seabra G, Wong KF, Paesani F, Wu X, Brozell S, Tsui V, Gohlke H, Yang L, Tan C, Mongan J, Hornak V, Cui G, Beroza P, Mathews DH, Schafmeister C, Ross WS, Kollman PA (2006) Amber 9Google Scholar
- 23.Moreira IS, Martins JM, Ramos RR, Fernandes PA, Ramos MJ (2012) Computational alanine scanning mutagenesis: a new method for hot-spot detection (Results to be published)Google Scholar