Numerical approximation of characteristic values of partial retarded functional differential equations
- 150 Downloads
The stability of an equilibrium point of a dynamical system is determined by the position in the complex plane of the so-called characteristic values of the linearization around the equilibrium. This paper presents an approach for the computation of characteristic values of partial differential equations of evolution involving time delay, which is based on a pseudospectral method coupled with a spectral method. The convergence of the computed characteristic values is of infinite order with respect to the pseudospectral discretization and of finite order with respect to the spectral one. However, for one dimensional reaction diffusion equations, the finite order of the spectral discretization is proved to be so high that the convergence turns out to be as fast as one of infinite order.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)65N25 65N35 34K30 35R10 47D06
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Breda, D.: The infinitesimal generator approach for the computation of characteristic roots for delay differential equations using BDF methods. Research Report RR02/17UDMI. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Breda, D., Maset, S., Vermiglio, R.: A new algorithm for efficient computation of level curves of surfaces. Research Report RR05/09UDMI, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Diekmann, O., van Gils, S.A., Verduyn Lunel, S.M., Walther, H.O.: Delay Equations Functional-, Complex-, and Nonlinear Analysis. AMS Series No. 110. Springer, Berlin (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Gohberg, I., Goldberg, S., Kaashoek, M.A.: Classes of Linear Operators. Operator Theory: Advances and Applications, vol. 49. Birkhauser, Basel (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Hairer, E., Norsett, S.P., Wanner, G.: Solving Ordinary Differential Equations I. Nonstiff problems. Second revised edition. SCM Series No. 8. Springer, Berlin (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Kuang Y.: Delay Differential Equations with Application in Population Dynamics. Academic Press, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 18.Pryce, J.D.: The Numerical Solution of Sturm–Liouville Problems. Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computations Series. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1994)Google Scholar
- 20.Rudin, W.: Functional Analysis. Functional Analysis. International Series in Pure and Applied Mathematics. McGraw-Hill, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 22.Trefethen, L.N.: Spectral methods in MATLAB. Software Environment Tools series, SIAM (2000)Google Scholar
- 23.Wu, J.: Theory and Applications of Partial Functional Differential Equations. AMS Series No. 119. Springer, Berlin (1996)Google Scholar