Terraforming: synthetic biology’s final frontier
Synthetic biology, the design and synthesis of synthetic biological systems from DNA to whole cells, has provided us with the ultimate tools for space exploration and colonisation. Herein, we explore some of the most significant advances and future prospects in the field of synthetic biology, in the context of astrobiology and terraforming.
KeywordsSynthetic biology Terraforming Bioforming Mars Exoplanet Proxima b TRAPPIST-1 CRISPR De-extinction Light sails Voyager Ecopoiesis
The authors dedicate this paper to the memory of Sister Mary Vermolen.
RDS and NS conceived the idea and wrote the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Averner MM, MacElroy RD (1976) On the habitability of Mars: an approach to planetary ecosynthesis. NASA Special publication 414. Scientific and Technical Information Office, National Aeronautics and Space Agency, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Friedmann EI, Hua M, Ocampo-Friedmann R (1993) Terraforming Mars: dissolution of carbonate rocks by cyanobacteria. J Br Interplanet Soc 46:291–292Google Scholar
- Gambino M (2012) What Is on Voyager’s Golden Record? https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-is-on-voyagers-golden-record-73063839/. Accessed 28 Mar 2019
- Hutchison CA 3rd et al (2016) Design and synthesis of a minimal bacterial genome. Science 351:aad6253. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aad6253
- MacGregor MA, Weinberger AJ, Wilner D, AF Kowalski, Cranmer SR (2018) Detection of a Millimeter Flare From Proxima Centauri. Astrophys J Lett. arXiv:1802.08257v1. https://doi.org/10.3847/2041-8213/aaad6b
- Scott R (2015) The Martian. A 20th century fox movie directed by Ridley Scott, screenplay by Drew Goddard, based on the novel by Andy Weir. Staring Matt DamonGoogle Scholar
- Sleator RD (2014a) The genetic code. Rewritten, revised, repurposed. Artif DNA PNA XNA 5:e29408. https://doi.org/10.4161/adna.29408
- Sleator RD (2016) JCVI-syn3.0—a synthetic genome stripped bare! Bioengineered 7:53–56. https://doi.org/10.1080/21655979.2016.1175847