Mariprofundus micogutta sp. nov., a novel iron-oxidizing zetaproteobacterium isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal field at the Bayonnaise knoll of the Izu-Ogasawara arc, and a description of Mariprofundales ord. nov. and Zetaproteobacteria classis nov.
- 817 Downloads
A novel iron-oxidizing chemolithoautotrophic bacterium, strain ET2T, was isolated from a deep-sea sediment in a hydrothermal field of the Bayonnaise knoll of the Izu-Ogasawara arc. Cells were bean-shaped, curved short rods. Growth was observed at a temperature range of 15–30 °C (optimum 25 °C, doubling time 24 h) and a pH range of 5.8–7.0 (optimum pH 6.4) in the presence of NaCl at a range of 1.0–4.0 % (optimum 2.75 %). The isolate was a microaerophilic, strict chemolithoautotroph capable of growing using ferrous iron and molecular oxygen (O2) as the sole electron donor and acceptor, respectively; carbon dioxide as the sole carbon source; and either ammonium or nitrate as the sole nitrogen source. Phylogenetic analysis based on the 16S rRNA gene sequence indicated that the new isolate was related to the only previously isolated Mariprofundus species, M. ferrooxydans. Although relatively high 16S rRNA gene similarity (95 %) was found between the new isolate and M. ferrooxydans, the isolate was distinct in terms of cellular fatty acid composition, genomic DNA G+C content and cell morphology. Furthermore, genomic comparison between ET2T and M. ferrooxydans PV-1 indicated that the genomic dissimilarity of these strains met the standard for species-level differentiation. On the basis of its physiological and molecular characteristics, strain ET2T (= KCTC 15556T = JCM 30585 T) represents a novel species of Mariprofundus, for which the name Mariprofundus micogutta is proposed. We also propose the subordinate taxa Mariprofundales ord. nov. and Zetaproteobacteria classis nov. in the phylum Proteobacteria.
KeywordsZetaproteobacteria Mariprofundus sp. Iron-oxidizing bacteria Hydrothermal field Bayonnaise knoll
We thank the captain and crew of the R/V Natsushima, the operation team of the ROV Hyper-Dolphin and chief scientist Dr. Motohiro Shimanaga (Kumamoto University) for their valuable help in obtaining deep-sea hydrothermal vent samples during cruise NT14-06. We also thank Mr. Akihiro Tame for his excellent assistance in preparing samples for electron microscopy. We are grateful to Dr. Chong Chen for his help in improving this manuscript. This work was partially supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number JP26820389.
- Abraham WR, Strömpl C, Meyer H, Lindholst S, Moore ER, Christ R, Vancanneyt M, Tindall BJ, Bennasar A, Smit J, Tesar M (1999) Phylogeny and polyphasic taxonomy of Caulobacter species. Proposal of Maricaulis gen. nov. with Maricaulis maris (Poindexter) comb. nov. as the type species, and emended description of the genera Brevundirnonas and Caulobacter. Int J Syst Bacteriol 49(3):1053–1073CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bankevich A, Nurk S, Antipov D, Gurevich AA, Dvorkin M, Kulikov AS, Lesin VM, Nikolenko SI, Pham S, Prjibelski AD, Pyshkin AV, Sirotkin AV, Vyahhi N, Tesler G, Alekseyev MA, Pevzner PA (2012) SPAdes: a new genome assembly algorithm and its application to single-cell sequencing. J Comput Biol 19:455–477. doi: 10.1089/cmb.2012.0021 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Baquiran JP, Ramírez GA, Haddad AG, Toner BM, Hulme S, Wheat CG, Edwards KJ, Orcutt BN (2016) Temperature and redox effect on mineral colonization in Juan de Fuca Ridge flank subsurface crustal fluids. Front Microbiol 7:396. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00396 eCollection 2016 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Emerson D, Field EK, Chertkov O, Davenport KW, Goodwin L, Munk C, Nolan M, Woyke T (2013) Comparative genomics of freshwater Fe-oxidizing bacteria: implications for physiology, ecology, and systematics. Front Microbiol 4:254. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2013.00254 eCollection2013 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gillis M, Vandamme P, De Vos P, Swings J, Kersters K (2001) Polyphasic taxonomy. In: Boone DR, Castenholz RW, Garrity GM (eds) Bergey’s manual of systematic bacteriology (The archaea and the deeply branching and phototrophic bacteria), vol 1, 2nd edn. Springer, New York, pp 43–48Google Scholar
- Lane DJ (1991) 16S/23S rRNA sequencing. In: Dworkin M, Falkow S, Stackebrandt E, Goodfellow M, Chichester (eds) Nucleic acid techniques in bacterial systematics. Wiley, Hoboken, pp 115–175Google Scholar
- Makita H, Nakagawa S, Miyazaki M, Nakamura K, Inagaki F, Takai K (2012) Thiofractor thiocaminus gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel hydrogen-oxidizing, sulfur-reducing epsilonproteobacterium isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent chimney in the Nikko Seamount field of the northern Mariana Arc. Arch Microbiol 194(9):785–794. doi: 10.1007/s00203-012-0814-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Makita H, Kikuchi S, Mitsunobu S, Takaki Y, Yamanaka T, Toki T, Noguchi T, Nakamura K, Abe M, Hirai M, Yamamoto M, Uematsu K, Miyazaki J, Nunoura T, Takahashi Y, Takai K (2016) Comparative analysis of microbial communities in iron-dominated flocculent mats in Deep Sea hydrothermal environments. Appl Environ Microbiol. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01151-16 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Masuda H, Fryer P, Ishibashi J, Toki T, Shitashima K, Kimura H, Suzuki R, Sato S, Takemoto K, Kato S, Kobayashi C, Kuno M, Noguchi T, Aoki M (2005) Yokosuka YK05-09 Leg2 Cruise report. http://www.godac.jamstec.go.jp/catalog/data/doc_catalog/media/YK05-09_leg2_all.pdf
- Moreira APB, Meirelles PM, Thompson F (2014) The family Mariprofundaceae. In: Rosenberg E, DeLong EF, Lory S, Stackebrandt E, Thompson F (eds) The Prokaryotes: Deltaproteobacteria and Epsilonproteobacteria, Springer, pp 403–413. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-39044-9_378
- Singer E, Emerson D, Webb EA, Barco RA, Kuenen JG, Nelson WC, Chan CS, Comolli LR, Ferriera S, Johnson J, Heidelberg JF, Edwards KJ (2011) Mariprofundus ferrooxydans PV-1 the first genome of a marine Fe(II) oxidizing Zetaproteobacterium. PLoS One 6(9):e25386. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0025386 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Staudigel H, Hart SR, Pile A, Bailey BE, Baker ET, Brooke S, Connelly DP, Haucke L, German CR, Hudson I, Jones D, Koppers AA, Konter J, Lee R, Pietsch TW, Tebo BM, Templeton AS, Zierenberg R, Young CM (2006) Vailulu’u Seamount, Samoa: life and death on an active submarine volcano. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103(17):6448–6453. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0600830103 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar