Condition monitoring of power components in electric grid using electromagnetic stray fields
- 90 Downloads
Monitoring and fault detection of the power components in power grid through radiated fields are proposed in this paper. The frequency response of electromagnetic radiated fields from the components was measured through low-frequency antennas and signal analyzer. Proper algorithms are developed for the identification of the components as well as the detection of faults and failures. These algorithms are designed based on the active performance of the components including induction, DC and synchronous machines as well as power converters. More than 150 tests of various combinations of the components and their conditions were implemented to fulfill this identification. The results show that the proposed technique demonstrates reliable monitoring of the components. Since there is no need to dismantle the components to detect the faults in this method, it can be considered as nonintrusive for industry. Moreover, this method can be used for applications in which it may be impossible to access the parameters of the components for online monitoring.
KeywordsElectromagnetic signature Electric drives Fault location Harmonics System monitoring
Part of this work was supported by a grant from the Office of Naval Research.
- 4.Weishi M, Jianhua W, Qing K (2016) Harmonic and inter-harmonic detection based on synchrosqueezed wavelet transform. In: IEEE information technology, networking, electronic and automation control conference, pp 428-432Google Scholar
- 9.Desai VA, Rathore S (2016) Harmonic detection using Kalman filter. In: International conference on electrical, electronics, and optimization techniques (ICEEOT), IEEE, pp 858–863Google Scholar
- 11.Arrillaga J, Watson N (2004) Power system harmonics. Wiley, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 14.Murphy JMD, Turnbull FG (2005) Power electronic control of AC motors. Pergamon, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Paul C (2006) Introduction to electromagnetic compatibility, 2nd edn. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- 16.Wang J, Song P, Cui C, Li J, Yang T (2012) Analysis of operation of synchronous generator under the distortion of harmonic current. In: Power and energy engineering conference (APPEEC)Google Scholar