Hamming weights and Betti numbers of Stanley–Reisner rings associated to matroids
- 373 Downloads
To each linear code \(C\) over a finite field we associate the matroid \(M(C)\) of its parity check matrix. For any matroid \(M\) one can define its generalized Hamming weights, and if a matroid is associated to such a parity check matrix, and thus of type \(M(C)\), these weights are the same as those of the code \(C\). In our main result we show how the weights \(d_1,\ldots ,d_k\) of a matroid \(M\) are determined by the \(\mathbb N \)-graded Betti numbers of the Stanley–Reisner ring of the simplicial complex whose faces are the independent sets of \(M\), and derive some consequences. We also give examples which give negative results concerning other types of (global) Betti numbers, and using other examples we show that the generalized Hamming weights do not in general determine the \(\mathbb N \)-graded Betti numbers of the Stanley–Reisner ring. The negative examples all come from matroids of type \(M(C)\).
KeywordsCodes Matroids Stanley–Reisner rings
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)05E45 94B05 05B35 13F55
Trygve Johnsen is grateful to Institut Mittag-Leffler where he stayed while a part of this work was being done. The authors are grateful to the referees and editor for their suggestions for improving the original paper.
- 3.Björner, A.: The Homology and Shellability of Matroids and Geometric Lattices. Matroid Applications, Encyclopedia Math. Appl., vol. 40, pp. 226–283. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Duursma, I.M.: Combinatorics of the Two-Variable Zeta Function, Finite Fields and Applications, pp. 109–136, Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., 2948. Springer, Berlin (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Hochster, M.: Cohen–Macaulay Rings, Combinatorics, and Simplicial Complexes. Ring Theory, II (Proc. Second Conf., Univ. Oklahoma, Norman, Okla., 1975), pp. 171–223. Lecture Notes in Pure and Appl. Math., vol. 26. Dekker, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 10.Karp, R.M.: Reducibility among combinatorial problems. In: Miller, R.E., Thatcher, J.W. (eds.) Complexity and Computer Computations, pp. 85–103. Plenum Press, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Miller, E., Sturmfels, B.: Combinatorial Commutative Algebra, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 227. Springer, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Oxley, J.: Matroid Theory. Second Edition. Oxford Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 21. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Roune, B.: A slice algorithm for corners and Hilbert-Poincaré series of monomial ideals. In: ISSAC 2010, Proceedings of the 2010 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, pp. 115–122. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Stanley, R.P.: Combinatorics and Commutative Algebra. Second edition. Progress in Mathematics, vol. 41. Birkhäuser, Boston (1996)Google Scholar