Collisions in Fast Generation of Ideal Classes and Points on Hyperelliptic and Elliptic Curves
- 55 Downloads
Koblitz curves have been proposed to quickly generate random ideal classes and points on hyperelliptic and elliptic curves. To obtain a further speed-up a different way of generating these random elements has recently been proposed. In this paper we give an upper bound on the number of collisions for this alternative approach. For elliptic Koblitz curves we additionally use the same methods to derive a bound for a modified algorithm. These bounds are tight for cyclic subgroups of prime order, which is the case of most practical interest for cryptography.
KeywordsPublic Key Cryptography Discrete Logarithm Hyperelliptic Curves Koblitz Curves Collisions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Behlen, P.: Algebraic geometry and coding theory, PhD thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, 2001Google Scholar
- 3.Doumen, J.: Some applications of coding theory in cryptography, PhD thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, 2003Google Scholar
- 4.Everest, G., van der Poorten, A.J., Shparlinski, I.E., Ward, T.B.: Recurrence sequences. Amer. Math. Soc. 2003Google Scholar
- 6.Günther, C., Lange, T., Stein, A.: Speeding up the arithmetic on Koblitz curves of genus two. Proc. SAC’00, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012, 106–117 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Koblitz, N.: CM curves with good cryptographic properties. Proc. Crypto’91, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 576, 279–287 (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Lange, T.: Efficient arithmetic on hyperelliptic curves. PhD thesis, Universität Gesamthochschule Essen, 2001Google Scholar
- 10.Lange, T.: Koblitz Curve Cryptosystems. To appear in Finite Fields and Their Applications, online 24 August 2004Google Scholar
- 12.Mumford, D.: Tata lectures on Theta II. Birkhäuser, 1984Google Scholar
- 13.Pohlig, S., Hellman, M.: An improved algorithm for computing logarithms over GF(p) and its cryptographic significance. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory IT-24, 106–110 (1978)Google Scholar
- 15.Solinas, J.: Efficient arithmetic on Koblitz curves. Designs, Codes and Cryptography 19, 195–249 (2000)Google Scholar