To mesh or not to mesh with polypropylene: does carcinogenesis in animals matter?
- 363 Downloads
Polypropylene in sheets has been been found to be carcinogenic in some laboratory animals. Although no human carcinogenicity has been reported, long-term follow-up in humans implanted with polypropylene mesh will be important.
KeywordsPolypropylene mesh carcinogenesis Total vaginal polypropylene mesh Material safety data sheet
Conflicts of interest
Dr. Ostergard gives medicolegal consultations and testimony and is a speaker/consultant for Astellas. Dr. Azadi has nothing to disclose.
- 1.http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm262435.htm (Accessed 4 May 2013)
- 4.http://www.antichips.com/cancer/05-blanchard-et-al-1999.pdf. (Accessed 4 May 2013)
- 5.http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol74/index.php (Accessed 4 May 2013)
- 6.Vollmar J, Ott G (1961) Experimental tumor induction by plastics from a surgical point of view. Langenbecks Arch Klin Chir Ver Dtsch Z Chir 298:729–735. (Quoted in Reference 5)Google Scholar
- 7.Imai Y, Watanabe A (1987) Tumorigenesis from polyurethrane materials. Jpn J Artif Organs 16:1329–1332, Quoted in Reference 5Google Scholar
- 8.Nakamura A, Tsuchiya T, Nakaoka R, Wang C, Nakamura T, Imai K, Inoue H (1997) Studies on the development of evaluation method for the material/tissue interaction. In: Annual Report of Cooperative Research Projects between Governmental and Private Institutions, Part IV, Tokyo, Japan Health Science Foundation, pp. 123–132. (Quoted in Reference 5)Google Scholar
- 13.Nikolaou K, Sarris M, Talianidis I (2013) Molecular pathways: the complex roles of inflammation pathways in the development and treatment of liver cancer. Clin Cancer Res Apr 2Google Scholar
- 16.Tazawa H, Tatemichi M, Sawa T, Gilibert I, Ma N, Hiraku Y, Donehower LA, Ohgaki H, Kawanishi S, Ohshima H (2007) Oxidative and nitrative stress caused by subcutaneous implantation of a foreign body accelerates sarcoma development ion TRP53+/− mice. Carcinogenesis 28:191–198PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Patel H, Ostergard DR, Sternschuss G (2012) Polypropylene mesh and the host response. 23:669–679Google Scholar
- 21.Birolini C, Minossi JG, Lima CF, Utiyama EM, Rasslan S (2013) Mesh cancer: long-term mesh infection leading to squamous-cell carcinoma of the abdominal wall. Hernia Published on line 19 AprilGoogle Scholar