The IGS VTEC maps: a reliable source of ionospheric information since 1998
The International GNSS Service (IGS) Working Group on Ionosphere was created in 1998. Since then, the Scientific community behind IGS, in particular CODE, ESA, JPL and UPC, have been continuosly contributing to reliable IGS combined vertical total electron content (VTEC) maps in both rapid and final schedules. The details on how these products are being generated, performance numbers, proposed improvement as far as VTEC evolution trends during near one Solar Cycle, are summarized in this paper. The confirmation of (1) the good performance of the IGS combined VTEC maps, and (2) the characteristic VTEC variability periods, are two main results of this work.
KeywordsGPS Ionospheric VTEC maps IGS GNSS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Afraimovich EL, Astafyeva EI, Oinats AV, Yasukevich Yu. V, Zhivetiev IV (2006) Global electron content and solar activity: comparison with IRI modeling results, poster presentation at IGS Workshop, Darmdstadt, Germany, MayGoogle Scholar
- Astafyeva EI, Afraimovich EL, Oinats AV, Yasukevich Yu. V, Zhivetiev IV (2006) Global electron content as a new index of solar activity, 36th COSPAR Scientific Assembly. Held 16–23 July 2006, in Beijing, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Fagundes PR, Pillat VG, Bolzan MJA, Sahai Y, Becker-Guedes F, Abalde JR, Aranha SL (2005) Observations of F layer electron density profiles modulated by planetary wave type oscillations in the equatorial ionospheric anomaly region. J Geophys Res 110: A12302. doi:10.1029/2005JA011115 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Feltens J (1998) Chapman Profile Approach for 3-d Global TEC Representation, IGS Presentation. In: Proceedings of the 1998 IGS analysis centers workshop, ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany, 9–11 February, pp 285–297Google Scholar
- Feltens J, Schaer S (1998) IGS Products for the Ionosphere, IGS Position Paper. In: Proceedings of the IGS analysis centers workshop, ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany, pp 225–232, 9–11 FebruaryGoogle Scholar
- Gao Y, Heroux P, Kouba J (1994) Estimation of GPS receiver and satellite L1/L2 signal delay biases using data from CACS. In: Proceedings of KIS-94, pp 109–117, Banff, Canada, 30 August–2 SeptemberGoogle Scholar
- Hernández-Pajares M (2004) IGS Ionosphere WG status report: performance of IGS Ionosphere TEC Maps -Position Paper-, presented at IGS Technical Meeting, Bern, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Hernández-Pajares M, Juan JM, Sanz J (2008) GPS data processing: code and phase Algorithms, Techniques and Recipes. http://www.gage.es/TEACHING_MATERIAL/GPS_BOOK/ENGLISH/PDGPS/BOOK_PDGPS_gAGE_NAV_08.pdf, Barcelona, issue 2E, February
- Orus R, Cander LR,2, Hernández-Pajares M (2007) Testing regional vertical total electron content maps over Europe during the 1721 January 2005 sudden space weather event. Radio Sci 42:RS3004. doi:10.1029/2006RS003515
- Schaer S (1999) Mapping and Predicting the Earth’s Ionosphere Using the Global Positioning System, Ph.D. Dissertation Astronomical Institute, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland, 25 MarchGoogle Scholar
- Schaer S (2003) IGS GLONASS tracking data. IGS Mail No. 4371, 8 MayGoogle Scholar
- Wilson BD, Mannucci AJ (1993) Instrumental biases in ionospheric measurements derived from gps data. In: Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation GPS-93, pp 1343–1351, SeptemberGoogle Scholar