A Monte Carlo evaluation of the performance of two new tests for symmetry
We propose two new tests for symmetry based on well-known characterisations of symmetric distributions. The performance of the new tests is evaluated and compared to that of other existing tests by means of a Monte Carlo study. All tests are carried out in a regression setup where we test whether the error distribution in a linear regression model is symmetric. It is found that the newly proposed tests perform favourably compared to the other tests.
KeywordsCharacterisation of symmetry Empirical characteristic function Goodness-of-fit
The first author thanks the National Research Foundation of South Africa for financial support. The authors would also like to thank the referee and the associate editor for their constructive comments that led to an improvement of the paper.
- Alemayehu D, Giné E, de la Pen C (1993) Bootstrap goodness-of-fit tests based on the empirical characteristic function. In: Tarter ME, Lock MD (eds) Computer science and statistics, proceedings of the 25th symposium on the interface, pp 1–9Google Scholar
- Hollander M (1988) Testing for symmetry. In: Kotz S, Johnson NL (eds) Encyclopedia of statistical sciences, vol 9. Wiley, New-York, pp 211–216Google Scholar
- Meintanis SG, Ngatchou-Wandji J (2012) Recent tests for symmetry with multivariate and structured data: a review. In: Jiang J (ed) Non-parametric statistical methods and related topics: a Festschrift in honor of Professor PK Bhattacharya on the occasion of his 80th birthday. World Scientific, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Meintanis SG, Allison J, Santana L (2016) Goodness-of-fit tests for semiparametric and parametric hypotheses based on the probability weighted empirical characteristic function. Stat Pap. doi: 10.1007/s00362-016-0760-0
- Nikitin YY, Ahsanullah M (2015) New \(U\)-empirical tests of symmetry based on extremal order statistics, and their efficiencies. In: Hallin M, Mason D, Pfeifer D, Steinebach J (eds) Mathematical statistics and limit theorems. Festschrift in Honour of Paul Deheuvels. Springer, New York, pp 231–248Google Scholar
- Trapletti A, Hornik K (2015) tseries: time series analysis and computational finance. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=tseries, R package version 0.10-34
- Zheng T, Gastwirth JL (2010) On bootstrap tests of symmetry about an unknown median. J Data Sci 8(3):413–427Google Scholar