Integrated data depth for smooth functions and its application in supervised classification
- 330 Downloads
This paper concerns depth functions suitable for smooth functional data. We suggest a modification of the integrated data depth that takes into account the shape properties of the functions. This is achieved by including a derivative(s) into the definition of the suggested depth measures. We then further investigate the use of integrated data depths in supervised classification problems. The performances of classification rules based on different data depths are investigated, both in simulated and real data sets. As the proposed depth function provides a natural alternative to the depth function based on random projections, the difference in the performances of these two methods are discussed in more detail.
KeywordsData depths Functional data Integrated data depths Supervised classification
The authors thank the Editor and three reviewers for their valuable comments which led to a considerable improvement of the paper. This research was supported by the IAP Research Network P7/06 of the Belgian State (Belgian Science Policy). The work of the D. Hlubinka was supported by the Grant GACR P402/14-07234S. The I. Gijbels gratefully acknowledges support from the GOA/12/014—project of the Research Fund KU Leuven. The work of the fourth author was partially supported by the Czech Science Foundation Project No. P402/12/G097 “DYME–Dynamic Models in Economics”. Currently he is a Research Assistant of the Research Foundation—Flanders, and acknowledges support from this foundation.
- Ferraty F, Romain Y (eds) (2011) The Oxford handbook of functional data analysis. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Ferraty F, Vieu P (2006) Nonparametric functional data analysis: theory and practice. Springer series in statistics. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Karatzas I, Shreve SE (1991) Brownian motion and stochastic calculus, volume 113 of graduate texts in mathematics, second edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- López-Pintado S, Romo J (2006) Depth-based classification for functional data. In: Data depth: robust multivariate analysis, computational geometry and applications, volume 72 of DIMACS Series Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, pp 103–119Google Scholar
- Maechler M (2013) sfsmisc: utilities from seminar fuer Statistik ETH Zurich. R package version 1.0-24Google Scholar
- Mosler K (2002) Multivariate dispersion, central regions and depth: the lift zonoid approach, volume 165 of lecture notes in statistics. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- R Core Team (2013) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- Ramsay JO, Wickham H, Graves S, Hooker G (2013) fda: functional data analysis. R package version 2.3.8Google Scholar
- Tukey JW (1975) Mathematics and the picturing of data. In: Proceedings of the international congress of mathematicians (Vancouver, BC, 1974), vol 2. Canadian Mathematical Congress, Montreal, QC, pp 523–531Google Scholar