Research on bending forming method of large diameter-thickness ratio thin-walled tubes for aerospace
- 33 Downloads
Large diameter thin-walled tubes are key lightweight components with important applications in the aviation and aerospace industries. However, bending forming is very difficult due to multi-die constraints and multiple forming defects. In this study, a numerical control (NC) rotary draw bending (RDB) forming method for large diameter-to-thickness ratio thin-walled (LDTRTW) tubes was investigated. First, a bionic elastic mandrel was introduced and applied to the NC RDB forming process. Then, a finite element (FE) model for NC RDB forming of LDTRTW stainless steel tubes was established. Thereafter, a method for engineering translation and design of the bionic elastic mandrel was proposed. Finally, a bending experiment was conducted and the experimental results were compared to the simulation results to validate the rationality of the FE model and the effectiveness of the bionic elastic mandrel, which is important for enriching the bending forming technique of LDTRTW tubes.
KeywordsLarge diameter-to-thickness ratio thin-walled (LDTRTW) tubes Rotary draw bending (RDB) Bionic elastic mandrel Engineering translation Wire rope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study is financially supported by the Public Welfare Technology Application Research Projects of Zhejiang Province (2016C31043), the Zhejiang University of Technology Keqiao Innovation Institute Technology Project (2018KQ012), key research and development project of Zhejiang province (2018C01078), and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51675478 and 51775489).
- 5.Tian YL, Yang H, Li H, Lu RD, Wang ZK (2012) Experimental study on wall thickness variation in NC bending of 6061-T4 large diameter thin-walled tubes. Mech Sci Technol 20(2):23–29+34Google Scholar
- 8.Liu ZW, Dong FF, Li LX, Yao ZQ (2015) Process parameters optimization of rotary draw bending for large diameter thin-walled steel tube for automotive bumper. Automot Eng 37(7):853–860Google Scholar
- 11.Li H, Yang H, Zhan M, Sun ZC, Gu RJ (2007) Role of mandrel in NC precision bending process of thin-walled tube. Int J Mach Tool Manu 47(7–8):1164–1175Google Scholar
- 15.Jiang LF, Lin WM, Wen DH, Hg L, Lu CD, Gu YQ (2015) A new bionic elastic mandrel for application in the spatial consecutive RDB with no straight line. JBBBE 25:12–18Google Scholar
- 17.Wang SW, Feng JL, Yang ZJ, Chen FL (1999) Research Progress on elastic wire rope theories. Adv Mech 29(4):486–500Google Scholar