Conceptual design, control, and simulation of a 5-DoF robotic manipulator for direct additive manufacturing on the internal surface of radome systems
- 77 Downloads
In this paper, a novel concept of robotic manipulator is developed for direct additive manufacturing on non-planar surfaces. The application scenario is the metal coating of the internal surface of radome systems, using frequency selective surface patterns. The manipulator is presented from the design, modeling, and control point of view. It is developed following an application-driven approach, meaning that the requirements from the application and the additive manufacturing technology are translated into the design specifications of the robotic system. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed control strategy based on a decentralized architecture is satisfactory to accurately control the motion of the robotic mechanisms along the trajectory foresees by the direct additive manufacturing task.
KeywordsAdditive manufacturing Aerosol jet printing Design method Virtual prototyping Robot control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the SIRena project, which has received funding from MISE, the Italian Ministry of Economic Development.
- 2.Gibson I, Rosen DW, Stucker B et al (2010) Additive manufacturing technologies, volume 238, Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 5.Yee JS (1993) Frequency selective surface (fss), May 4, US Patent 5,208,603Google Scholar
- 7.Darsena D, Di Vigilio L, Gelli G, Verde F (2015) Widely-linear frequency-shift compensation of CFO and I/Q imbalance in OFDMA/SC-FDMA systems. In: IEEE international conference on communications (ICC), IEEE, pp 2686–2691Google Scholar
- 8.Signore R, Grazioso S, Fariello A, Murgia F, Selvaggio M, Di Gironimo G (2017) Conceptual design and control strategy of a robotic cell for precision assembly in radar antenna systems, vol 11, pp 397–404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2017.07.123
- 9.Davis JR et al (2004) Handbook of thermal spray technology ASM internationalGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mattox DM (2010) Handbook of physical vapor deposition (PVD) processing William AndrewGoogle Scholar
- 12.Park J-, Sudarshan T S (2001) Chemical vapor deposition, volume 2 ASM internationalGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hedges M, Marin AB (2012) 3d aerosol jet printing-adding electronics functionality to rp/rm. In: DDMC 2012 conference, pp 14–15Google Scholar
- 19.Renn MJ (2014) Aerosol jet printed thin film transistors. Optomec Aerosol Jet White PaperGoogle Scholar
- 20.Hoey JM, Akhatov IS, Swenson OF, Schulz DL (2009) Convergent-divergent-convergent nozzle focusing of aerosol particles for micron-scale direct writing, February 26 US Patent App. 12/192,315Google Scholar
- 21.Goth C, Putzo S, Franke J (2011) Aerosol jet printing on rapid prototyping materials for fine pitch electronic applications. In: IEEE 61st electronic components and technology conference (ECTC), IEEE, pp 1211–1216Google Scholar
- 24.Grazioso S, Selvaggio M, Marzullo D, Di Gironimo G, Gospodarczyk M (2017) Eligere: a fuzzy ahp distributed software platform for group decision making in engineering design. In: 2017 IEEE international conference on fuzzy systems (FUZZ-IEEE), IEEE, pp 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/FUZZ-IEEE.2017.8015713
- 25.Grazioso S, Gospodarczyk M, Di Gironimo G (2016) Distributed information systems in group decision making problems. In: 2016 fourth international conference on parallel, distributed and grid computing (PDGC), IEEE, pp 231–236Google Scholar
- 26.Kawabuchi I, Yoon WK, Kotoku T (2015) Linear-motion telescopic mechanism and robot arm having linear-motion telescopic mechanism, January 6, US Patent 8.925.405Google Scholar
- 27.Grazioso S, Sonneville V, Di Gironimo G, Bauchau O, Siciliano B (2016) A nonlinear finite element formalism for modelling flexible and soft manipulators. In: IEEE international conference on simulation, modeling and programming for autonomous robots (SIMPAR), IEEE, pp 185–190. https://doi.org/10.1109/SIMPAR.2016.7862394
- 28.Grazioso S, Di Gironimo G, Siciliano B (2018) A geometrically exact model for soft continuum robots: the finite element deformation space formulation. Soft Robotics. https://doi.org/10.1089/soro.2018.0047
- 29.Siciliano B, Sciavicco L, Villani L, Oriolo G (2010) Robotics: modelling, planning and control. Springer Science & Business Media, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 31.Grazioso S, Di Gironimo G, Singhose W, Siciliano B (2017) Input predictive shaping for vibration control of flexible systems. In: 2017 IEEE conference on control technology and applications (CCTA), IEEE, pp 305–310. https://doi.org/10.1109/CCTA.2017.8062480