Effects of process parameters on forming force and accuracy in cold roll-beating forming external tooth groove
- 51 Downloads
Cold roll-beating forming is an incremental cumulative plastic forming technology that uses rolling wheels to impact and roll a metal target at room temperature. The process parameters of cold roll-beating forming influence the forming process and its accuracy. In this paper, these influences are studied for the case of cold roll-beating forming an external tooth groove. First, the process and characteristics of cold roll-beating forming are analyzed to determine the key process parameters for forming external tooth grooves. Next, forming experiments and finite element simulations are carried out for roll-beating AISI 1045 (DIN C45). The forces, material deformation, and formed surface characteristics are analyzed for the process of cold roll-beating forming of an external tooth groove. Finally, the effects of the roll-beating method, spindle speed, and roll-beating density on the forces, forming defect, angle of the groove profile, and surface roughness are discussed. This study will serve as a reference for reducing forming force, restraining adverse deformation, and controlling forming quality by optimizing process parameters.
KeywordsCold roll-beating Forming Tooth groove Force·accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are grateful to National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51475366, 51475146), Natural Science Basic Research Plan in Shaanxi Province of China (Grant No. 2016JM5074), and Ph.D. Innovation fund projects of Xi’an University of Technology (Grant No. 310-252071601).
- 1.Gröbel D, Schulte R, Hildenbrand P, Lechner M, Engel U, Sieczkarek P, Wernicke S, Gies S, Tekkaya AE, Behrens BA, Hübner S, Vucetic M, Koch S, Merklein M (2016) Manufacturing of functional elements by sheet-bulk metal forming processes. Prod Eng 10(1):63–80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11740-016-0662-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Tekkaya AE, Allwood JM, Bariani PF, Bruschi S, Cao J, Gramlich S, Groche P, Hirt G, Ishikawa T, Löbbe C, Lueg-Althoff J, Merklein M, Misiolek WZ, Pietrzyk M, Shivpuri R, Yanagimoto J (2015) Metal forming beyond shaping: predicting and setting product properties. CIRP Ann Manuf Technol 64(2):629–653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2015.05.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sheu JJ, Yu CH (2007) The cold orbital forging die and process design of a hollow-ring gear part. The 35th International MATADOR Conference, 2007. Springer-Verlag, London, pp 111–114. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84628-988-0
- 10.Manfred H, Hubert N, Peter K, Oskar M, Albin G, Hans-Ruedi H (1999) Procedure for manufacture of gearwheel teeth. DE19744639Google Scholar
- 11.Krapfenbauer H (1984) New aspects for the mass production of spur gears by cold rolling. IPE 8(3):39–4lGoogle Scholar
- 12.Cui FK, Wang XQ, Zhang FS, Xu HY, Quan JH, Li Y (2013) Metal flowing of in volute spline cold roll-beating forming. Chin J Mech Eng-En 26(5):1056–1062. https://doi.org/10.3901/CJME.2013.05.1056
- 14.Grob E, Krapfenbauer H (1973) Roller head for cold rolling of splined shafts or gears US3818735Google Scholar
- 15.Cui FK, He XJ, Li Y, Han ZR (2010) Process parameters optimization of ballscrew manufactured by cold rolling. Appl Mech Mater 33:268–272. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.33.268 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Liang XM, Li Y, Cui LM, Yang MS, Xiao JM, Cui FK (2016) The effect of different roll-beating methods on deformation forces of rack cold roll-beating. Rev Fac Lng 31(8):164–174. https://doi.org/10.21311/002.31.8.16
- 18.Cui FK, He XJ, Li CM, Li Y, Han ZR (2010) Shaping movement analysis and simulation of ballscrew manufactured by cold rolling. Adv Mater Res 97-101:4032–4035. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.97-101.4032 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Li Y, Li YX, Yang MS, Yuan QL, Cui FK (2015) Analyzing the thermal mechanical coupling of 40Cr cold roll-beating forming process based on the Johnson-cook dynamic constitutive equation. Heat and Technology 33(3):51–58. https://doi.org/10.18280/ijht.330307
- 22.Kopp R, Wiegels H (1999) Einführung in die Umformtechnik. Verlag Mainz, AachenGoogle Scholar