Product-service system (PSS) complexity metrics within mass customization and Industry 4.0 environment
- 207 Downloads
The design and evaluation of product-service systems (PSS) constitutes a challenging problem due to its multidimensionality. This challenge becomes bigger when the PSS customization is required within the new manufacturing paradigm of Industry 4.0. Nevertheless, limited literature work is observed regarding the customization of PSS and the PSS investigation within the Industry 4.0. Towards bridging these gaps, the present research work proposes a methodology for the quantification of PSS customization complexity, considering Industry 4.0 aspects. The proposed metrics are applied in a real industrial case study from a large laser machining industry, aiming to evaluate the different PSS alternatives in terms of complexity. It is demonstrated that the proposed approach can support the strategic level decision-making of a company, by quantifying the complexity and producing additional meaningful information towards the selection of the product and services that could be designed and offered to the customers.
KeywordsComplexity Customization Product-service systems (PSS) Industry 4.0
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work has been partially supported by the H2020 EC funded project “An Integrated Collaborative Platform for Managing the Product-Service Engineering Lifecycle – ICP4Life” (GA No. 636862).
- 1.Mourtzis D, Doukas M (2014) The evolution of manufacturing systems: from craftsmanship to the era of customisation. In: Handbook of Research on Design and Management of Lean Production Systems, US, AmericaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Goedkoop MJ et al (1999) Product service systems, ecological and economic basics. Pre Consult Amersfoort. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-294X.2004.02125.x
- 14.Chryssolouris G (2006) Manufacturing systems: theory and practice, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Pine J (1993) Mass customization: the new frontier in business competition. Harvard Business PressGoogle Scholar
- 19.Mourtzis D, Doukas M (2013) Decentralized manufacturing systems review: challenges and outlook. Robust Manufacturing Control: Proceedings of the CIRP Sponsored Conference RoMaC 2012 355–369. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30,749-2_26.
- 23.Waltemode S, Mannweiler C, Aurich JC (2012) Life cycle oriented quality assessment of technical product-service systems. Leveraging Technol Sustain World:49–54. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-29069-5_9
- 26.Mourtzis D, Fotia S, Vlachou E, Koutoupes A (2017) A lean PSS design and evaluation framework supported by KPI monitoring and context sensitivity tools. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0132-5
- 37.Chryssolouris G, Vassiliou E, Mavrikios D (2006) Application of information theory to the quantification of concurrent engineering processes. 13th International Conference on Concurrent Engineering (ISPE) 679–695Google Scholar
- 40.Mourtzis D, Fotia S, Boli N (2017) Metrics definition for the product-service system complexity within mass customization and industry 4.0 environment. ICE IEEE 2017 International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC) 1207–1213Google Scholar
- 41.Mourtzis D, Fotia S, Boli N, Vlachou E (2017) An approach for the modeling and quantification of PSS customisation. Int J Prod Res:1–17. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1378956
- 43.Alexopoulos K, Koukas S, Boli N, Mourtzis D (2017) Resource planning for the installation of industrial product service systems. Adv Product Manag Syst:205–213. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-66926-7_24