Parametric optimization and surface analysis of diamond grinding-assisted EDM of TiN-Al2O3 ceramic composite
- 9 Downloads
Diamond grinding-assisted electro-discharge (DGAED) machining is a hybrid machining process which can be used to improve the material removal rate (MRR) for the difficulty to machine materials like superalloys, ceramics, and composites. The main aim of this paper is to develop a model for DGAED machining of titanium nitride-aluminum oxide (TiN-Al2O3) ceramic composite for predicting MRR. TiN-Al2O3 ceramic composite finds industrial application due to its properties like high resistance to abrasion wear, chemical stability, hardness, and low friction coefficient. The characteristic features of DGAED machining of the TiN-Al2O3 ceramic composite are explored through response surface methodology (RSM) for face-centered central composite rotatable design (CCRD) with seven-center-point scheme. Wheel speed (S), peak current (I), pulse on time (ton), and duty factor (DF) are taken as control factors while MRR is taken as the performance parameter. The experimental results for MRR are analyzed and regression equation for material removal rate is obtained. The surface topography shows that melting and thermal spalling are primary material removal mechanisms. Microcracks and micropores are found diminished on the machined surface and MRR is improved as the wheel rotation speed increased.
KeywordsHybrid EDM Diamond grinding Ceramic composite RSM SEM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bhaduri D, Biswas SK, Mitra S (2011) Pareto optimization of electro discharge machining of titanium nitride-aluminium oxide composite material using genetic algorithm. Adv Mater Res 264–265:985–990. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.264-265.985 Google Scholar
- 3.Biswas SK, Mukerji J (1990) Synthesis, Properties, and Oxidation of Alumina-Titanium Nitride Composites. J Am Ceram Soc 73(1):142–145. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1990.tb05107.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Baghel R, Mali HS, Biswas SK (2016) Study of vibration assisted micro electro-discharge milling of titanium nitride-aluminium oxide composite. Proceedings of 6th International & 27th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR-16) INDIA, pp 276–279Google Scholar
- 14.Mali HS, Unune D, Tiwari S (2014) Modelling and prediction of material removal rate in electrical discharge diamond surface grinding process of inconel-718. Proceedings of 5th International & 26th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR-14), pp 822.1–822.8Google Scholar
- 19.Montgomery DC (2009) Design and analysis of experiments, 7th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar